Tri-Cities Bristol Virginia-Tennessee 2014
Tri-Cities, Bristol Virginia-Tennessee will not only have among the lowest growth in the nation, but the lowest in Tennessee and Virginia. The region already suffers a 20 percent plus real poverty-unemployment rate. Where do I begin?
The Trainstation Again?
Abingdon and Bristol are working once again to get taxpayer passenger rail to locate to Bristol. Like most of their projects this makes no business sense, but is about tapping into government funding. Within sight of this failed project is our new $12 million country music museum (funded by you know who) that failed in the Bristol Mall and is expected to succeed here.
To quote one angry resident:
Lets see now. We have a train station with a passenger ticket window, and no passenger trains and no reasonable expectation of ever getting passenger trains again. Got that. We seem to have a train station with no real business plan of any sort. And the taxpayers have been forced to pay how many millions of dollars?
And for what? It looks like we the people who earn the money will continue to have our earnings taken from us by force or threat of force by our politicians to keep feeding the money sinkhole of a train station. STOP THE NON-ESSENTIAL SPENDING NOW! And no, the train station is not essential. Sell the train station to private business and either let it sink or swim on its' own with no more taxpayer subsidies!
- Bristol Spends Millions for Jobs - Gets Nothing
- Raise Minimum Wage in Bristol
- Crime is Up Across Wise County Virginia
- 58 Meth Convections Illustrate Problem in Tri-Cities
- Jails and New Laws Won't Stop Meth Epidemic
- Tobacco Commission Failure Once Again in 2014
- New Tennessee Law Protects Constitutional Rights
- Letter on Liberal Racism
Printed in the Bristol Herald Courier Saturday, January 18, 2014:
Re: Raising the minimum wage. I'm voicing my support of President Obama to raise the minimum wage to $10-$15 an hour.
The tens of millions of dollars are wasted on corporate welfare and crony capitalism have done nothing to raise the living standards of the working poor in this region. The same people writing multi-million checks to retail developers are the same ones that begrudge our low-wage workforce $10 in food stamps.
Bristol-Virginia-Tennessee region ranks near the bottom in nearly every social demographic in their respective states: highest child poverty rates - low-wage jobs and chronic under-employment - college degrees that are worthless forcing thousands to flee the region - jails bursting with those arrested for drugs - skyrocketing crime.
In addition working people face a hostile labor climate from business often in partnership with local governments. There's no free market here with this level of cronyism and backroom dealing. How many jobs will we create moving Belk to the Pinnacle and Lowe's to the Falls?
I'd give business a 200 percent deduction on labor costs and kill useless regulations and taxes. Those on welfare would be forced to work for living. Cutting out the government middle man and making work pay something is best for everyone.
In addition we must cut off most immigration and end this system of importing replacement workers then shifting the social costs onto taxpayers. That means enforcing the labor and immigration laws. Fat chance in this low-wage labor hostile region.
No more corporate welfare, country music museums, under-writing minimum wage hotel, tourism, and retirement industries. Let's get people off welfare and let them earn a living. Time to shut down the government money loop for the politically connected and end this system of social apartheid.
Lewis Loflin Bristol, Va.
Note as of January 18, 2014 police are searching for a man attempting to rob the pharmacy in a Food City store in Lebanon, Virginia. There's been a rash of mostly pharmacy robberies by drug addicts.
- Tri-Cities Unemployment Up 2013-2014
- Crony Capitalism and the Government Loop
- Bristol VA-TN Government waste 2013
- Disability the Hidden Unemployment Program
- Steel Company Jumps County Line for Government Handouts
- Poverty and Guns Doesn't Equal Gun Crime
- CityMac Another Taxpayer Fiasco
- Layoffs Corporate Welfare at Eastman Chemical
- We Don't Hire People with College
- Single Parent Problem in Southwest Virginia
- Even Blacks Consider Blacks more Racist than Whites
- Liberty More Important Than Equality
J.C. Penny Slams the Doors in Bristol
Another retailer pulls out while we waste $100 million underwriting shopping malls.
J.C. Penney plans to close its Bristol Mall store as part of a nationwide effort to shutter "under-performing" stores, the company ... plans to close 33 stores in 20 states, including its 86,000-square-foot local store...This marks the second major Bristol Mall anchor store to announce plans to leave. Last May, officials with Belk announced plans to replace its mall locations in 2015 with a new store in The Pinnacle retail center being developed near Interstate 81's Exit 74 in Bristol, Tenn.
Mayor Odum said losing J.C. Penney and the 50 jobs it represents makes it "vitally important" to complete (the $65 million taxpayer funded) The Falls retail center currently being developed near Interstate 81's Exit 5.
The closings are expected to idle a total of about 2,000 employees and generate a savings of about $65 million.
January 15, 2014 Ref. www.tricities.com
- See the following:
- Clear Creek Mobile Home Park Travesty
- Bulldozing Clear Creek Mobile Home Park
- Washington County BOS fires Boss Reeter
- Looking Back at Operation Big Coon Dog
- Corporate welfare and Red Lobster
- $50 Million for Crony Capitalism
- Bristol TN gives $25 million for a Bass Pro Shop
- Thrown on the Street For Crony Capitalism
- Hunger, Coal, and the Arts in Southwest Virginia
More Third World Government
To quote Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia's Center for Governmental Studies: "The most corrupt region is Southwest Virginia - more indictments for political and public office corruption have happened in this region than all other parts of the state combined." According to a report from the Kingsport Times-News (May 22nd, 2010), "Tennessee is named the most corrupt state in the nation; Virginia listed as second." So here we have Bristol VA/TN located at the juncture of the two most corrupt states in the Union, and for Virginia, the most corrupt region of the state.
To quote the late Bill Deel, a retired English teacher from Clintwood, Virginia, "We're becoming more and more Third World here...The best and the brightest leave."
Business in the region is also on the government gravy train planning on maximizing profits at public expense - nowhere is this more true than healthcare. Now it seems to have backfired.
- Tri-Cities Losses Healthcare Jobs
- What a Positive Community is Really Like
- Tri-Cities VA-TN Bottom 10 Percent in 2008
- Can't Buy a Job - Virginia Wastes $900,000 to Underwrite Movie
- East Tennessee Losing War on Drugs
- $744,325 to study Horseshoe Crabs in Southwest Virginia
- Government Grants Wasted on Horse Dung
- TVA - Jobs Losses to Raise Power Rates
- Growth Industry in Tri-Cities
- Note the following reports require Acrobat reader:
- Washington County Virginia Community Profile
- Smyth County Virginia Community Profile
Sprint Dumps Bristol Virginia for Bristol Tennessee
Here is another example of one low-wage community trying to outbid the neighboring low-wage community at taxpayer expense for low-paying jobs. Sprint has turned down a lucrative corporate welfare package from Bristol, Virginia and will jump the State line to Sullivan County. Read more...
Here in Bristol January is once again dominated by record cold. Entire states are being declared disaster areas as arctic temperatures break record after record. But there are some of us that are saying we told you so. It's about religion and social agendas and not science.
- Religion is Killing Children
- Science Proves Climate Change
- Debunking Panendeism
- Does Pantheism Lead to Leftism?
- Climate change - Science First
- Social Agenda Behind Environmentalism
- Environmental-Government Complex
- Science Rejected by Global Warming Alarmists
- Separation of Religion and State
- 2009-10 Record Cold Stumps Environmentalists
- Whale Fossils Unlock History
- On climate change:
- Fall of the Late Roman Empire
- End of the Vikings in Greenland
- Lost Colony of Roanoke Island
Click here for more electronics and computer projects.
See Why your college degree is worthless in Tennessee
Mass Immigration Killing the Working Poor Here Too
Immigration reform will cause even more misery for the working poor as an additional 22 million more guest workers over the next decade will further displace native born low-wage workers and already have in East Tennessee and Tri-Cities. Low-wage black workers have been driven out of the labor force across the nation by immigration and the same thing is happening to poor whites in our region as employers hunt for more cheap-exploitable labor.
In fact this has been recommended to business as a way to lower labor costs in the tourist-retirement related industries this region is promoting. Simply put they want to bring in even cheaper labor to displace the working poor that already dominates our private sector labor market. The working poor are ignored and marginalized already and so the system of social apartheid will continue to flourish.
- Immigration Plague
- Hispanic Welfare Class Won't Vote Republican
- Class Warfare - American People Versus Ruling Elite
- For Sale - Buying American Immigration Policy
- Illegal Immigration Plagues East Tennessee
- Texas - Elsewhere - Immigrants Take Most New Jobs
- Illegal Aliens take jobs from Blacks in Alabama
- Illegal immigrants take heavy toll on East Tennessee
- Immigrant Population Hits Record 38 Million - Many on Welfare
- Illegal Alien Injures Two Members Of Ralph Stanley Band
- Corrupt firms aid smugglers of immigrants
- East Tennessee Losing War on Drugs
- Baptist Preacher-Wife Sentenced to 179 Years
- Budget War Engulfs Sullivan County, Sheriff Threatens Lawsuit Over Funding
- Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day - Standing Against Gay Fascism
- White Reporters Attacked by Black Mob in Norfolk: Newspaper hides Story
- Robbery Suspects Run Down Washington County Tennessee Deputy
- Religion, etc.
- Taking a Closer Look at Gnosticism and Christianity
- Sickness of Afghan-Muslim Culture We Won't Address by Lewis Loflin
- Sullivan County Commission Threatens to Sue Activist Over Free Speech
- Tri-Cities Labor Market Report September 2011
- Pfizer Dumps Bristol Tennessee
- Old Jobs Called New Jobs is Still No New Jobs
- VA Lt Governor Gives Illegal Funding to Non-Profits
- Gates Corp. Dumps Washington County
- Declining Demand for Coal Hurts Southwest Virginia
- Virginia Organizing Picketed Congressman Morgan Griffith Over Healthcare
- Alpha Building Deal Back in the News in 2012
- Washington County Commits to Buy Alpha Building in Backroom Deals
- Hunger, Alpha Coal, and the Arts in Southwest Virginia
- Plant Closings 1998-2002; 2804 Jobs Lost
- Touchstone Wireless Dumps Bristol
- Southwest Virginia Losing Another House Seat
- Jonesborough Tennessee International Storytelling Center Files Chapter 11
- William E. King Museum Fiasco
- Nudity and Government Waste at the Barter Theatre
- Zero Tolerance Policies and African Americans in Tennessee Schools
- Dropout rates, guns, and multiculturalism
- Tennessee tops nation in personal bankruptcy
- Virginia made wise use of tobacco settlement funds or did they?
- Southwest Virginia demographics 2010
- Mass Shooting in Bristol, Tennessee Public Housing
- Halliburton and the Coalfields Expressway
- DANA Automotive leaves Bristol for Mexico
- For some, religion and politics go hand in hand
- White-collar jobs joining blue-collar counterparts overseas
- Less Welfare, Same Poverty in Heart of Appalachia
- Worlds Apart by Cynthia Duncan
- A Future Imperiled by Poverty
- How the ARC Wastes Millions
- Who Really Gets Mountain Money?
- Pierce Trial and Racism
- Poverty Myths
- War on Poverty and how the Poor Lost
Religion versus Science
- 25 Questions and answers for Creationism
- Why fundamentalists are beyond reason.
- Introduction to the scientific method.
- The scientific method.
- How Alarmists undermine Science and Theology
- The Founding Fathers Speak Out on God, Religion and the First Amendment
- A Short Review of Personal Experience in the United Pentecostal Church
- Randy "Ruby Ridge" Weaver Christian hero in Sullivan County
- Cost of Wise Inn Fiasco Soares to $12 Million
- Exposing the Virginia Tobacco Commission Part 1
- Exposing the Virginia Tobacco Commission Part 2
- Southwest Virginia Exposed Again July 2008
- Washington County Supervisor Blasts Obscene Pay Raises
- 2008 Kids Count report
- Highway Pork and the Solar Hill Project in Bristol, Virginia
- Appalachia Resents Label of 'Third World' but nothing changes
- Study finds housing costs outstrip wages
- Innovative Public Housing Not Available to Working
- Social Apartheid and Housing at Exit 7
- Failure at Virginia High School in Bristol, Virginia
- The Obama "Change" Show Comes to Bristol, VA