Bristol Virginia-Tennessee News Opinion 2014
Tri-Cities, Bristol Virginia-Tennessee will not only have among the lowest growth in the nation, but the lowest in Tennessee and Virginia. The region already suffers a 20 percent plus real poverty-unemployment rate. Where do I begin?
- Tri-Cities Unemployment Up 2013-2014
- Fourth quarter Job Disaster in Tri-Cities Bristol Virginia-Tennessee
- Bristol Spends Millions for Jobs - Gets Nothing
- Poor People the Big Loser in Appalachian Economics
- 'Good Old Boys' Rake in Millions Thousands Struggle in Bristol
- Poverty Wages Class Warfare in Bristol Virginia-Tennessee
- Cost of Living Versus Income in Bristol Virginia-Tennessee
The dismal future of the working poor in this community is tied directly to a job structure hostile to working people. The shocking loss of retail sales in Bristol is proof that many have little disposable income.
- Added June 10, 2014
- Impaired Driver Faces Felony Drug Charges in Johnson City
- Another 48 People Nailed in Bristol Virginia Drug Bust
- Black Gang Arrested for Rape Laugh at Judge
- Break Light Leads to Drug Bust for Black Male
- Inconvenient Truths about Race & Slavery
- The Holocaust by Rabbi Meir Kahane
- Why Kahane was Right by Lewis Loflin
- Virginia Republicans are Hypocrites on Welfare
- Poverty a Complicated Issue Bristol Virginia-Tennessee
Last is most recent.
Mexican Crimewave in Johnson City
Local Crime 1 Local Crime 2
Local Crime 3 Local Crime 4
Latest Round of Metal Thefts Includes Batteries and Aluminum Wheels
Local press reports a string of thefts of batteries and aluminum wheels are only the latest reports of metal theft by likely drug addicts. Nine cases resulted in at least the theft of 39 batteries and 13 aluminum wheels from two businesses. At one business thieves destroyed the power meter to shut down the surveillance cameras.
Most can be sold for between $10 and $15. Earlier thefts included metal grates from a carwash in Bristol whose owner replaced them with plastic.
Another favorite target from earlier thefts was catalytic converters cut right off of cars at a dealer on the Volunteer Parkway in Bristol. Copper is another popular item where thieves will break into a home or business and tear and cut the metal right out of power boxes.
In this case police are looking for two males but failed to give any details. Like the strings of pharmacy and other robberies that have exploded across the area I'll bet anything this is drug related. Ref. WCYB 15 May, 2014.
- Two Erwin Tennessee Men Charged in Two Different Burglary Cases
- Domestic Violence Call Over a Sandwich Leads to Felony Drug Arrests
- Virginia Fugitive wanted for Rape-Abduction Arrested in Jonesborough
- Two Kingsport Men Arrested for Conspiracy to Commit Murder, Drug Charges
- Kingsport Couple Arrested for Meth Manufacturing in Backseat of Car
- Welfare Check for Three Children Yields Four Arrests for Meth
- Seatbelt Violation Leads to the Arrest of 14 People on Drug Charges
- Two Black Males Arrested for 2011 Kingsport Murder
- Missing License Plate Lands Stupid Man in Jail for Meth
- Two South Carolina Fugitives Rack Up Drug Charges in Kingsport
- Mother, Son, and Two Neighbors Busted for Drugs in Kingsport
- Three Arrested After Kingsport Police Stumble onto Drug Deal
- Kingsport Couple Arrested for Drugs at West Side Inn
- Congratulations Kingsport Crime Down in 2013
- 58 White People Sentenced to 348 Years Over Methamphetamine
- Kingsport Shooting Incident Results in Additional Felony Drug Charges
- 39 Drug Arrests Mine Layoffs Adds to Buchanan County Virginia Misery
- Ashanti Rhan Henry-Others Sentenced for Bristol Crack Cocaine Conspiracy
- Holistic Doctor Sentenced on Drug Diversion Charges
- 68 People Face Counterfeit Check Charges
- Speeding violation leads to 2 arrests, drug and cash seizure
- Two Blacks Arrested at Public Housing for Gun-Drugs
- 43 People Arrested-Indicted for Drugs Spend Thanksgiving in Jail
- Mass Shooting in Bristol Tennessee Public Housing Leaves Five Dead
- Zero Tolerance Policies and African Americans in Tennessee Schools
- Crime both violent and stupid:
- Drug Arrests Explode Across Kingsport-Bristol
- Black Male Abducts Three Children and other Crimes 2011
- Annie Smith Murder has Public Housing Residents Living in Fear
- Oadis White Serial Murders in Bristol Leaves many Question Unanswered
- Black Gang Executes Two Men in Candle Shop in Kingsport
- Derick Kesse Murder Lands Three Black Males to Life in Prison
- Man Caught with His Pants Down During Robbery
- 911 Call for a Cheeseburger Lands Two Drunk Idiots in Jail
- East Tennessee - Bristol Methamphetamine Epidemic
- Press Releases Johnson City Police October 2012
- Press Releases Johnson City Police November 2012
- Press Releases Johnson City Police December 2012
- Taser Takes Down Escapee, Family Already Jailed
- Different Traffic Stops Lands Johnson City Residents in Jail over Drugs
- Traffic Stop Leads to Drug Arrest for Afton Woman
- House Fire Meth Lab Investigation - Three Arrested - Children Removed
- Chattanooga Pain Clinic Owners Nailed For Illegal Distribution Of Drugs
- Mexican Citizen In Johnson City Sentenced On Cocaine-Firearms Charges
- 26 Individuals Convicted of Drug Trafficking in Greenville
- 57 Count Indictment Arose Out Of Guzman's Operation Of Maryville Pain Clinic
- Dale Walker Johnson Gets 200 Months For Robbery In Morristown
- Seized Equipment Donated By Local Law Enforcement For Educational Use
- Knoxville Man Pleads Guilty To Attempting To Entice A Twelve-Year-Old To Engage In Sex
- Two White Males Indicted in Knoxville Pharmacy Robbery
- Wise Virginia Woman to Get 33 Months on Drug Charges
- Newport Tennessee Man Gets 18 Years for Drug Trafficking
- Johnson City Hispanic Male to Get Minimum 67 Years
- Johnson City Man Gets 216 Months in Prison for Drugs
- Man that Robbed a White Pine Tennessee Drug Store Gets 118 Months
- 15 from Hawkins County Tennessee Indicted on federal drug Charges
- Knoxville Resident Charged in Bank Robbery with Explosive Device
- Green County Man Gets 12 Years for Drug Trafficking 12 Others Indicted
- Hawkins County Tennessee Family Nailed for Drugs Jr Gets 170 Months
- Elizabethton Tennessee Man Gets Five Years for Drugs
- Florida Man Gets 97 Months for Drugs
- 21 East Tennessee Residents Indicted for Math
Empty Purse, Hot Rollers Lands Man in Jail
On 04/14/14, officers of the Johnson City Police Department arrested Karl Dixon, 40 yr old male, General Delivery, and charged him with auto burglary.
At approximately 1:10 a.m., officers responded to the 800 block of Lamont St. in reference to a suspicious subject in the area. Upon arrival officers made contact with a female who stated that a white male, later identified as Karl Dixon, had knocked on her door and attempted to sell her some items he had in his possession.
The female stated she did see a box of hot rollers in his hand, along with other items. The female refused to open the door to the unknown male. After a couple minutes the female heard what she described as her car door slamming and looked out her window to see the same male subject walking away from her car.
The female and officers checked her vehicle and found that two rolls of quarters had been stolen. Officers located Mr. Dixon in the area who did have a box of hot rollers in his possession. Mr. Dixon also had two pair of female shoes and an empty purse in his possession.
Mr. Dixon was arrested and transported to the Washington County Detention Center, where he is currently being held in lieu of a $10,000 bond. An arraignment is set for 04/14/14, at 1:30 p.m., in Washington County General Sessions Court.
We all live here together
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 Bristol Herald Courier.
I'm praising the Washington County Board of Supervisors for getting us out of the King Medical School fiasco. This is another multi-million dollar backroom deal we have no business in. I'm hopeful with removal of Boss Reeter and election of new members we can end two decades of "good old boy" government.
In addition, I'm voicing my support for gas drilling and asking our supervisors to support it. I've had gas drilling, pipelines and a compressor station near my home for two decades with no problems. The gas company workers do a superb job.
Those trying to stop drilling don't even live in my community. Most are from the Abingdon-Damascus-Glade Spring area.
Those opposing drilling are the same collection of recent transplants and outside-funded political activists who were behind efforts to stop Love's Truck Stop. They are driven by ideology and are typical of the social apartheid system the working poor suffer from.
They care nothing about the poverty and joblessness we suffer here, being fixated on greenism at the expense of poor people they are economically and socially isolated from. One even commented on the poor "being pushed out" but seemed to not care about it.
This is understandable as we market this silly hillbilly-hick music culture, which isn't representative of most of the people living here. They're fed this silly Appalachian culture garbage peddled in college by the clueless academics.
Those living off government jobs and transfer payments or bringing money in have no idea just how bad earning a living in the region really is. The working poor matter little to these mostly transplant liberals that are hostile to local culture anyway.
We all live here together, so let's demand open government and open public dialog on these issues.
Lewis Loflin Bristol, Va.
- Tri-Cities Unemployment Up 2013-2014
- Crony Capitalism and the Government Loop
- Bristol VA-TN Government waste 2013
- Disability the Hidden Unemployment Program
- Steel Company Jumps County Line for Government Handouts
- Poverty and Guns Doesn't Equal Gun Crime
- CityMac Another Taxpayer Fiasco
- Layoffs Corporate Welfare at Eastman Chemical
- We Don't Hire People with College
- Single Parent Problem in Southwest Virginia
- Even Blacks Consider Blacks more Racist than Whites
- Liberty More Important Than Equality
- Ages of Gaia, Science, and Environmental Religion
- How Bacteria Created Natural Nuclear Fission
- Michael Crichton Speech - Environmentalism as Religion
- Science Facts Debunks Michael "Hockey Stick" Mann
- Environmentalism as Religion by Michael Fumento
- Environmentalism's Fear-Loathing of Technology
- How Ecological Homeostasis and Hysteresis Regulate Climate
- Origins of the Moon and Life on Earth
- Great Dying Mystery and the End of the Dinosaurs
- Virginia Congressman Confronts Climate Scientists
The Trainstation Again?
Abingdon and Bristol are working once again to get taxpayer funded passenger rail to locate to Bristol. Like most of their projects this makes no business sense, but is about tapping into government funding. Within sight of this failed project is our new $12 million country music museum (funded by you know who) that failed in the Bristol Mall and is expected to succeed here.
To quote one angry resident:
Lets see now. We have a train station with a passenger ticket window, and no passenger trains and no reasonable expectation of ever getting passenger trains again. Got that. We seem to have a train station with no real business plan of any sort. And the taxpayers have been forced to pay how many millions of dollars?
And for what? It looks like we the people who earn the money will continue to have our earnings taken from us by force or threat of force by our politicians to keep feeding the money sinkhole of a train station. STOP THE NON-ESSENTIAL SPENDING NOW! And no, the train station is not essential. Sell the train station to private business and either let it sink or swim on its' own with no more taxpayer subsidies!
- Bristol Spends Millions for Jobs - Gets Nothing
- Raise Minimum Wage in Bristol
- Crime is Up Across Wise County Virginia
- 58 Meth Convections Illustrate Problem in Tri-Cities
- Jails and New Laws Won't Stop Meth Epidemic
- Tobacco Commission Failure Once Again in 2014
- New Tennessee Law Protects Constitutional Rights
- Letter on Liberal Racism
J.C. Penny Slams the Doors in Bristol
Another retailer pulls out while we waste $100 million underwriting shopping malls.
J.C. Penney plans to close its Bristol Mall store as part of a nationwide effort to shutter "under-performing" stores, the company ... plans to close 33 stores in 20 states, including its 86,000-square-foot local store...This marks the second major Bristol Mall anchor store to announce plans to leave. Last May, officials with Belk announced plans to replace its mall locations in 2015 with a new store in The Pinnacle retail center being developed near Interstate 81's Exit 74 in Bristol, Tenn.
Mayor Odum said losing J.C. Penney and the 50 jobs it represents makes it "vitally important" to complete (the $65 million taxpayer funded) The Falls retail center currently being developed near Interstate 81's Exit 5.
The closings are expected to idle a total of about 2,000 employees and generate a savings of about $65 million.
January 15, 2014 Ref. www.tricities.com
- See the following:
- Clear Creek Mobile Home Park Travesty
- Bulldozing Clear Creek Mobile Home Park
- Washington County BOS fires Boss Reeter
- Looking Back at Operation Big Coon Dog
- Corporate welfare and Red Lobster
- $50 Million for Crony Capitalism
- Bristol TN gives $25 million for a Bass Pro Shop
- Thrown on the Street For Crony Capitalism
- Hunger, Coal, and the Arts in Southwest Virginia
More Third World Government
To quote Larry Sabato, director of the University of Virginia's Center for Governmental Studies: "The most corrupt region is Southwest Virginia - more indictments for political and public office corruption have happened in this region than all other parts of the state combined." According to a report from the Kingsport Times-News (May 22nd, 2010), "Tennessee is named the most corrupt state in the nation; Virginia listed as second." So here we have Bristol VA/TN located at the juncture of the two most corrupt states in the Union, and for Virginia, the most corrupt region of the state.
To quote the late Bill Deel, a retired English teacher from Clintwood, Virginia, "We're becoming more and more Third World here...The best and the brightest leave."
Business in the region is also on the government gravy train planning on maximizing profits at public expense - nowhere is this more true than healthcare. Now it seems to have backfired.
- Tri-Cities Losses Healthcare Jobs
- What a Positive Community is Really Like
- Tri-Cities VA-TN Bottom 10 Percent in 2008
- Can't Buy a Job - Virginia Wastes $900,000 to Underwrite Movie
- East Tennessee Losing War on Drugs
- $744,325 to study Horseshoe Crabs in Southwest Virginia
- Government Grants Wasted on Horse Dung
- TVA - Jobs Losses to Raise Power Rates
- Growth Industry in Tri-Cities
- Note the following reports require Acrobat reader:
- Washington County Virginia Community Profile
- Smyth County Virginia Community Profile
Sprint Dumps Bristol Virginia for Bristol Tennessee
Here is another example of one low-wage community trying to outbid the neighboring low-wage community at taxpayer expense for low-paying jobs. Sprint has turned down a lucrative corporate welfare package from Bristol, Virginia and will jump the State line to Sullivan County. Read more...
Here in Bristol January is once again dominated by record cold. Entire states are being declared disaster areas as arctic temperatures break record after record. But there are some of us that are saying we told you so. It's about religion and social agendas and not science.
- Religion is Killing Children
- Science Proves Climate Change
- Debunking Panendeism
- Does Pantheism Lead to Leftism?
- Climate change - Science First
- Social Agenda Behind Environmentalism
- Environmental-Government Complex
- Science Rejected by Global Warming Alarmists
- Separation of Religion and State
- 2009-10 Record Cold Stumps Environmentalists
- Whale Fossils Unlock History
- On climate change:
- Fall of the Late Roman Empire
- End of the Vikings in Greenland
- Lost Colony of Roanoke Island
Mass Immigration Killing the Working Poor Here Too
Immigration reform will cause even more misery for the working poor as an additional 22 million more guest workers over the next decade will further displace native born low-wage workers and already have in East Tennessee and Tri-Cities. Low-wage black workers have been driven out of the labor force across the nation by immigration and the same thing is happening to poor whites in our region as employers hunt for more cheap-exploitable labor.
In fact this has been recommended to business as a way to lower labor costs in the tourist-retirement related industries this region is promoting. Simply put they want to bring in even cheaper labor to displace the working poor that already dominates our private sector labor market. The working poor are ignored and marginalized already and so the system of social apartheid will continue to flourish.
- Immigration Plague
- Hispanic Welfare Class Won't Vote Republican
- Class Warfare - American People Versus Ruling Elite
- For Sale - Buying American Immigration Policy
- Illegal Immigration Plagues East Tennessee
- Texas - Elsewhere - Immigrants Take Most New Jobs
- Illegal Aliens take jobs from Blacks in Alabama
- Illegal immigrants take heavy toll on East Tennessee
- Immigrant Population Hits Record 38 Million - Many on Welfare
- Illegal Alien Injures Two Members Of Ralph Stanley Band
- Corrupt firms aid smugglers of immigrants
- East Tennessee Losing War on Drugs
- Baptist Preacher-Wife Sentenced to 179 Years
- Budget War Engulfs Sullivan County, Sheriff Threatens Lawsuit Over Funding
- Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day - Standing Against Gay Fascism
- White Reporters Attacked by Black Mob in Norfolk: Newspaper hides Story
- Robbery Suspects Run Down Washington County Tennessee Deputy
- Religion, etc.
- Taking a Closer Look at Gnosticism and Christianity
- Sickness of Afghan-Muslim Culture We Won't Address by Lewis Loflin
- Sullivan County Commission Threatens to Sue Activist Over Free Speech
- Tri-Cities Labor Market Report September 2011
- Pfizer Dumps Bristol Tennessee
- Old Jobs Called New Jobs is Still No New Jobs
- VA Lt Governor Gives Illegal Funding to Non-Profits
- Gates Corp. Dumps Washington County
- Declining Demand for Coal Hurts Southwest Virginia
- Virginia Organizing Picketed Congressman Morgan Griffith Over Healthcare
- Alpha Building Deal Back in the News in 2012
- Washington County Commits to Buy Alpha Building in Backroom Deals
- Hunger, Alpha Coal, and the Arts in Southwest Virginia
- Plant Closings 1998-2002; 2804 Jobs Lost
- Touchstone Wireless Dumps Bristol
- Southwest Virginia Losing Another House Seat
- Jonesborough Tennessee International Storytelling Center Files Chapter 11
- William E. King Museum Fiasco
- Nudity and Government Waste at the Barter Theatre
- Zero Tolerance Policies and African Americans in Tennessee Schools
- Dropout rates, guns, and multiculturalism
- Tennessee tops nation in personal bankruptcy
- Virginia made wise use of tobacco settlement funds or did they?
- Southwest Virginia demographics 2010
- Mass Shooting in Bristol, Tennessee Public Housing
- Halliburton and the Coalfields Expressway
- DANA Automotive leaves Bristol for Mexico
- For some, religion and politics go hand in hand
- White-collar jobs joining blue-collar counterparts overseas
- Less Welfare, Same Poverty in Heart of Appalachia
- Worlds Apart by Cynthia Duncan
- A Future Imperiled by Poverty
- How the ARC Wastes Millions
- Who Really Gets Mountain Money?
- Pierce Trial and Racism
- Poverty Myths
- War on Poverty and how the Poor Lost
Religion versus Science
- 25 Questions and answers for Creationism
- Why fundamentalists are beyond reason.
- Introduction to the scientific method.
- The scientific method.
- How Alarmists undermine Science and Theology
- The Founding Fathers Speak Out on God, Religion and the First Amendment
- A Short Review of Personal Experience in the United Pentecostal Church
- Randy "Ruby Ridge" Weaver Christian hero in Sullivan County
- Cost of Wise Inn Fiasco Soares to $12 Million
- Exposing the Virginia Tobacco Commission Part 1
- Exposing the Virginia Tobacco Commission Part 2
- Southwest Virginia Exposed Again July 2008
- Washington County Supervisor Blasts Obscene Pay Raises
- 2008 Kids Count report
- Highway Pork and the Solar Hill Project in Bristol, Virginia
- Appalachia Resents Label of 'Third World' but nothing changes
- Study finds housing costs outstrip wages
- Innovative Public Housing Not Available to Working
- Social Apartheid and Housing at Exit 7
- Failure at Virginia High School in Bristol, Virginia
- The Obama "Change" Show Comes to Bristol, VA