Bristol Virginia Tri-Cities a Great Place to Retire
"It's a little-known fact that roughly 20 percent of the children in Southwest Virginia live below the poverty line and go hungry every night." Kevin Crutchfield, President Alpha Natural Resources, January 15, 2009
For years I've exposed dysfunctional government and high levels of poverty. Now I'll balance that with positive aspects of a community I've lived in over 30 years. I won't pull any punches or engage in political correctness. The positives I'll be expanding on:
Low levels of crime despite a drug addiction problem among the lower class. Low levels of "diversity" and illegal aliens both directly proportional to high violent crime rates. According to Virginia State Police data blacks/Hispanics account for 75% of the violent crime in the state. White population in general 90% white.
Low cost of living, good infrastructure, good roads, high speed fiber optic.
Mostly good healthcare, but doctor shortages due to high use of Medicaid, Medicare, and uninsured according to health officials I talked to - 75-80% of the population. We have one of the best Veterans Hospitals in the nation in Johnson City.
Low income levels are offset by a high home ownership rates (over 50%) and most other homes not under water. Housing prices are low relative to national averages. On the bad side too much public housing and its crime and social problems concentrated in Bristol Virginia. In 2012 Bristol Virginia had a crime rate higher than Virginia Beach and Charlottesville. This improved in 2015. Ref. 2012 & 2015 State Police Crime Statistics.
- Bristol Virginia Tri-Cities a Great Place to Retire
- Bristol VA-TN Welfare State in 2004
- Bristol Virginia Social Apartheid Continues 2005-6
- Town Halls and Other Controversy 2009
- Debating Issues in Bristol VA-TN in 2010
- Social Apartheid in Tri-Cities Bristol Virginia 2011
- Advantages of Social Apartheid in Bristol
- Residents Flee Bristol VA-TN
- New 2018:
- 'Go Virginia' Scam More of the Same Government Waste 2018
- Bristol Herald Courier Now a Victim?
- Hal Lindsey Makes a Fool of Christians
- News updates May-June 2016
- Exploding Retail Sales Hiding Government Dependency in Bristol Virginia
- Wise Virginia Call Center Won't Hire 500 New Workers
- Why We Shouldn't Trust Bristol Virginia Utilities
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Liberty More Important Than Equality
- Disability the Hidden Unemployment Program
- Steel Company Jumps County Line for Government Handouts
- Poverty and Guns Doesn't Equal Gun Crime
- CityMac Another Taxpayer Fiasco
- Layoffs Corporate Welfare at Eastman Chemical
- We Don't Hire People with College
- Single Parent Problem in Southwest Virginia
- Local Leaders Complain to Senator Kaine - Ignore Workers
- Predominant Face of American Poor is White and Liberals Ignore It
- Proof Limiting Mass Immigration Helps the Working Poor
- Born Again Jobs and a Shrinking Tri-Cities Labor Force
- Prime Choice Foods Files for Bankruptcy in Bristol
- What 70 New Jobs at Columbus McKinnon?
- Another 100 Jobs Lost in Bristol Virginia with College Closure
- Bristol Metals fires 290 Workers
- 240 Phony Jobs and Corporate Welfare for Heritage Glass
- Bristol Raising Property Taxes to Pay for Corporate Welfare
- Caterpillar Plant Closure Costs Pulaski County 240 Jobs
- Arch Coal Fires Another 213 Workers - It's the tip of the Iceberg
- High Cost of the Non-Profits Industry
Updated Sep. 2017
- Christianity 101 Revealed
- Debunking the Khazar Jews Anglo-Saxon Israel Myth
- Why Jews Are Not a Race
- Questions on Christian Anti-Semitism
- Islam's History of Anti-Semitism
- Christian Identity A Religion for White Racists
- Christian Identity Dogma of Hate
- Christian Identity History of Hate, Irrationalism
- Debunking Islamophobia
- Bernard Lewis Window on Islam
- Bernard Lewis Understanding Islam
- Bernard Lewis Roots of Muslim Rage Part 1
- Bernard Lewis Roots of Muslim Rage Part 2
- Fear of Islam is not Islamophobia
- Europeans Victims of (Muslim) Colonialism
- Deist Examination of Islamic Trinity
- Mohammed the Man as Islamic Ideology
- Why Muslims Can't Build a Lightbulb
- Bacon is not a Hate Crime
- Jesus the Man
- Apostle Paul Founder of Christianity
- Why we should know John Calvin
- Egyptian-Christian Connection
- Judaism Meets Zoroastrianism
- Judaism Meets Hellenism and the Logos
- Pelagius Why He Was Right
- Saint Augustine Introduction
- Saint Augustine His Christian World View by Lewis Loflin
- Criticism of St. Augustine
- St. Augustine and Evolution
- Growth Industry in Tri-Cities
- Note the following reports require Acrobat reader:
- Washington County Virginia Community Profile
- Smyth County Virginia Community Profile
When it comes to arrogance, power, and lack of accountability, journalists are probably the only people on the planet who make lawyers look good. -- Steve Brill
Rod Dreher, a senior editor at The American Conservative to quote on "mainstream journalists",
"The people who run American journalism, and who staff the newsrooms, think of themselves as sophisticated, cosmopolitan, and, culturally speaking, on the right side of history... (are) interested in every kind of diversity, except the kind that would challenge their own prejudices. Those include, bigotry against conservative religion, bigotry against rural folks and bigotry against working-class and poor white people."
Ref. Oct. 18, 2016 The Post-Trump Media by James Taranto WSJ
Quote: "A free press is bad news for corruption." Today with much of the press owned by radical oligarchs such as Warren Buffett, Jeff Bezos, and Carlos Slim, we have no free press.
Chomsky penned the idea of the "propaganda model" in 1988. The Podesta emails release proved just how the press has been compromised. To quote,
"The media serve, and propagandize on behalf of, the powerful societal interests that control and finance them. The representatives of these interests have important agendas and principles that they want to advance, and they are well positioned to shape and constrain media policy." -Chomsky
What is yellow journalism?
Yellow journalism, or the yellow press, is a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism. By extension, the term yellow journalism is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion. - Wiki
Propaganda - noun.
1. information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.
2. the deliberate spreading of such information, rumors, etc.
My definition: Political correctness - moralistic sounding censorship and suppression of free speech from cowards in the media and government used to control the conversation and exclude anyone that dares to question anything the elites and the press corporatist bosses perceive as a threat.
Political correctness as censorship and policy. Editor Jim Maxwell of the Bristol Herald Courier, who is also white, says, "Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of this newspaper staff and management. In support of the First Amendment right of free speech...publisher reserves the right to reject (censor) any submission." Then who the heck is responsible for what goes in your newspaper? Total weasel words Mr. Maxwell.
- Wholesale Plant Nursery Receives $8 Million for Energy Research
- No It's Not 250 New Jobs in Grayson County Virginia
- 2008 Remote Area Medical in Wise in Pictures
- Crony Capitalism Comes to Wise County
- Pinnacle Wood Products Follies in Wise County
- Obscene Electrolux Incentive Deal Puts Tennessee at Risk
- Tobacco Commission Sykes Fiasco
- Cost of Wise Inn Fiasco Soares to $12 Million
In general "Red" states and Southwest Virginia and East Tennessee are very "Red" we have a high standard of living for the most even with lower earned income levels. To quote a study from the King Institute for Regional Economic Studies:
"The most troubling aspect of the Southwest Virginia economy is the decline in earned income in recent years. Real earned income fell 17 percent from 2011 to 2014. This is a direct result of declining production and employment in the coal mining sector. Due to the sharp drop in earned income, residents in Southwest Virginia received 72 cents in government transfer payments for every dollar of earned income in 2014. Comparable values for the TriCities and the U.S. are 49 cents and 27 cents, respectively."
With all of this why did Trump get as much as 75% of the votes in this and other similar regions? See Red States Higher Standard of Living
See the full King Institute for Regional Economic Studies Report.
UPDATED: Hobby Lobby pulls plan for Bristol, Virginia location.
BRISTOL, Va. — Hobby Lobby has pulled plans to open a store in Bristol, Virginia, but a spokesman for Publix said Friday that the grocery chain remains committed to opening a store in the city.
There's already a Hobby Lobby 18 miles away in Kingsport.
- Tri-Cities Labor Market Report 2011 & 2016
- Taxpayer Funds Wasted To Renovate St. Paul Hotel
- Gov. McAuliffe Clueless on Jobs But Not Pork
- Holding Press Accountable Protects Freedom of Speech
- ARC Virginia Grants Pork and Salaries 2015-16
- Captive Virginia Press Peddles Racism, Propaganda
- Links to Various Political and Religious Topics
- Local Added/Updated June 2017
- 30 Years of Failure in Southwest Virginia
- Exide to Rehire 40 Bristol Workers - Not After All
- Disability Still Big Business 2017 in Southwest Virginia
- Bristol Herald Courier Reprints Racist Lies
- Bristol Virginia Loses More Retail
- Bristol Trainstation 2017 Still Producing Nothing
- Appalachian Regional Commission a Waste
- Address Corporate Culture Before Handing Out Money