Predominant Face of American Poor is White and Liberals Ignore It
by Lewis LoflinTweet
4 in 5 in USA face near-poverty, no work
Hope Yen, AP Business Writer September 17, 2013
As nonwhites approach a numerical majority in the U.S., one question is how public programs to lift the disadvantaged should be best focused - on the affirmative action that historically has tried to eliminate the racial barriers seen as the major impediment to economic equality, or simply on improving socioeconomic status for all, regardless of race...Hardship is particularly growing among whites, based on several measures...
The fact is affirmative action racism that has done nothing for minorities has devastated the poor white working-class who bore the cost of it. The article as usual avoided the negative effect of mass immigration that has pushed millions into poverty by importing more poverty.
Nationwide, the count of America's poor remains stuck at a record number: 46.2 million, or 15 percent of the population, due in part to lingering high unemployment following the recession. While poverty rates for blacks and Hispanics are nearly three times higher, by absolute numbers the predominant face of the poor is white.
More than 19 million whites fall below the poverty line of $23,021 for a family of four, accounting for more than 41 percent of the nation's destitute, nearly double the number of poor blacks.
Sometimes termed "the invisible poor" by demographers, lower-income whites generally are dispersed in suburbs as well as small rural towns, where more than 60 percent of the poor are white. Concentrated in Appalachia in the East, they are numerous in the industrial Midwest and spread across America's heartland, from Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma up through the Great Plains.
Buchanan County, in southwest Virginia, is among the nation's most destitute based on median income, with poverty hovering at 24 percent. The county is mostly white, as are 99 percent of its poor.
More than 90 percent of Buchanan County's inhabitants are working-class whites who lack a college degree. Higher education long has been seen there as nonessential to land a job because well-paying mining and related jobs were once in plentiful supply. These days many residents get by on odd jobs and government checks...
In the last decade government has spent $300 million on roads, corporate welfare, etc. in Buchanan County and like with inner city blacks the results have been zero. Social programs, government contracting, etc. creates jobs for those in the system, not the people it's targeted at.
- Predominant Face of American Poor is White and Liberals Ignore It
- Poverty is not about Race It's Economic and Social Policy
- Born Again Jobs and a Shrinking Tri-Cities Labor Force
- Prime Choice Foods Files for Bankruptcy in Bristol
- What 70 New Jobs at Columbus McKinnon?
- Another 100 Jobs Lost in Bristol Virginia with College Closure
- Bristol Metals fires 290 Workers
- 240 Phony Jobs and Corporate Welfare for Heritage Glass
- Bristol Raising Property Taxes to Pay for Corporate Welfare
- Caterpillar Plant Closure Costs Pulaski County 240 Jobs
- Arch Coal Fires Another 213 Workers - It's the tip of the Iceberg
- High Cost of the Non-Profits Industry
- Culture of Slush-Fund Politics in Virginia
- More public dollars looted to underwrite The Falls development
- Another $1.67 million slated for corporate welfare in Washington County
- Southwest Virginia Miners Lose Jobs We Get Minimum-Wage jobs Instead
- Government Lies on Employment Gains October 2014
- No US Job Creation in 14 Years
- More Chaos in the Job Market for Tri-Cities November 2009
- Food Stamps and Unemployment in Bristol VA-TN
- Congressman Boucher's Failed Call Center Legacy
- Economic Developers in Tri-Cities Pleased with Job Losses
- Alpha Building Fiasco Five Years Later
- More on the Dirty Alpha Coal Building Deal
- The Dirty Alpha Coal Building Deal
- Democrats Disdain of Voters Hides Religious Crusade
- Humanist Violence Fails to Suppress Theism
- Failure of Marxism as Humanism in Practice
- California and its Illegal Alien Migrant Children
- Predominant Face of American Poor is White
- Intellectuals and Race
- Leftists, Progressives and Socialists
- Immigrants And Hipsters Attack Tech Workers
- Why Is The Republican Party Embracing Amnesty?
- Racial Stupidity and Malevolence
- Virginia Tobacco Commission Scandals 2014
- More on Phil Puckett and the Virginia Tobacco Commission Scandal
- Virginia Tobacco Commission Waste and Pork Update for 2009-14
- Fat bonuses for failing institutions
- Income Plunges Again by 15 Percent in Tri-Cities
- 300 workers fired from local healthcare industries
- Wellmont Wellness Center to Close
- Eastman Chemical Plans $80 million in labor cuts
- No Jobs But Exploding Taxes in Washington County
- Kicked out of the Johnson City Mall by Political Correctness
- Tri-Cities official poverty rates hit almost 20 percent in 2010
- Bristol Virginia Borrows to Cover Bloated Spending
- Is Strip Mining Finished in Southwest Virginia?
- TennCare may have to cut enrollee benefits, prisoners released
- Smokies' ranked number one in tourism is why East Tennessee is poor
- Trouble in Bristol Virginia, Again 2010
- Unemployment still keeps climbing for Tri-Cities in 2010
- Congressman Rick Boucher Defeated in the VA 9th District
- Senator Jim Webb on Why He Voted for Obamacare
- Jim Webb New Bill Will Bankrupt America
- Power Rates and the Poverty Trap
- Economic Train Wreck in Southwest Virginia in 2010?