Homepage for Lewis Loflin
Welcome to my website. This is my 17th year on the net and this site covers a vast number of subjects that I find interesting mainly relating to applied science-engineering, history, religion, and some local events. The goal is to invoke thought and I reject any form of correctness - political, theological, etc.
I'm a classical liberal and that will put me at odds with what I call statism - the belief through government we can "fix" whatever crisis or problem real or invented.
I'm former US Army and here is A picture of my duty station in West Berlin and was a military occupational specialty was 33S intercept systems technician and I held a top-secret SI clearance.
I grew up in Norton, Virginia and graduated high school from John I. Burton High School in 1977. For more on Norton Virginia area see Remote Area Medical 2008. I left King College in Bristol due to financial reasons and graduated with honors from Northeast State Technical Community College in Computer Information Technology and university parallel.
I've been married for 30 years and my wife is severely disabled and I'm on income restrictions due to her having to be on Medicaid. So we had to learn to live on a limited income and the secret is simply being responsible and getting a job and sticking with it. We both grew up in poverty and I have little sympathy for those today with their cell phones, cars, and air conditioners demanding free stuff.
Yes I'm on Facebook and Skype.
I've been a part-time adjunct professor at a local community college teaching electricity and electronics. My electronics website reflects what I've taught or been asked to look into by visitors. I have 40 years experience in electronics from vacuum tubes to modern solid state and industrial controls. In college I had a year each of physics, chemistry, and biology along with C, C++. Pascal, and assembly.
I taught myself the coding for Arduino, PICAXE, Raspberry Pi, Microchip PIC, Debian and Slackware Linux, CSS etc which I approach in a way to give my students a basis for their own projects. Every page on this website was hand-coded by me. My education philosophy is learn the basics, find working examples, then use what works as a foundation for further learning. Modify and try new ideas.
I'd say my job title would be applied technologist. See Electronics Projects for Students and Hobbyists
What could be more fundamental to science than the assumption that the explorability and thereby the cognizability of reality arises due to its bearing the handwriting of its author? God speaks the language of his creation, and our spirit, which is likewise his creation, is able to perceive it, to hear it, to comprehend it.
Christoph Cardinal Schonborn
- Scientific Case for a Transcendent God
- In Defense of Classical Deism
- Environmentalism is Still a Religion
- Democrats Disdain of Voters Hides Religious Crusade
- Predominant Face of American Poor is White
- Intellectuals and Racial Socialism
- Leftists, Progressives and Socialists
- Immigrants And Hipsters Attack Tech Workers
- Why Is The Republican Party Embracing Amnesty?
- Fear of Islam is not Islamophobia
- Europeans Victims of (Muslim) Colonialism
- Suppressing Academic Freedom in the name of Justice
- How Government Exported Black Crime into Ferguson Missouri
- St. Louis Black Youth Gunshot Death Rate
- Crime Rates by Race in Missouri
- When a Violent Thug Becomes a Victim of Racism
- Let Racist Leonard Pitts Eat Cake
- Deism Mainpage
- A Broad Exploration of Deism
- Voltaire's Legacy of War on American Values
- How Voltaire's Atheism Overthrew Deism
- Rot in our Universities and Postcolonial Studies
Letter to the Editor
Published Bristol Herald Courier January 2, 2015
RE: GOP dominates SWVa. The sheeple of SWVa. Tri-Cities vote for Republicans determined to cut their throats, pilfering millions of public dollars for corporate welfare at the same time bitterly opposing expanding Medicaid.
"We don't want socialized medicine." What's Medicare, Medicaid, and the Veterans Administration?
"They are working for jobs." Really? Republican dominated Tri-Cities- SWVa. labor force is imploding, disability roles explode as thousands turn to that for a living, and the region continues to rank in the bottom of the nation in most social demographics. Check with Dr. Steb Hipple at ETSU. Check the Sullivan County Jail - we even got our own TV show! (Southern Justice)
Republicans refused to defund the Obama amnesty - they support more replacement workers to further depress wages for the working poor. Where were you Mr. Griffith?
Republicans have reduced public office to private fiefdoms. "Economic development" is catch-phrase for corporate welfare, lucrative jobs, and a bonanza for contractors, consultants, and their friends - and zero accountability.
$150 million plus looted for the Falls, Pinnacle, etc. BVU using ratepayer funds to underwrite millions (most of it hidden) for The Falls, a stupid music program, etc.
An $8 an hour call center crosses State Street, get millions in incentives, and we call them "new jobs."
Why is the Tobacco Commission even paying Dominion Energy $10 million? The $2 million being wasted to fund the so-called "Center of Excellence" I predict will produce nothing like the last $2 million. Other than bailing out a non-profit and the Abingdon Incubator the program suffers from vague goals, no measurable standards, and zero public oversight. The Phil Puckett scandal aside when will the public shut this scandal-ridden agency down?
Now back to Obama's birth certificate.
- Culture of Slush-Fund Politics in Virginia
- Virginia Tobacco Commission Scandals 2014
- More on Phil Puckett and the Virginia Tobacco Commission Scandal
"We can not command religion, for no man can be
compelled to believe anything against his will."
These words from Theodoric the Great are my motto. My beliefs are stated as follows:
I reject the authority of religious leaders to dictate belief to anyone. Be aware of those with political or social agendas. Study the works of the heretics and put these great works in proper context. Many conclusions about the Bible, etc. are based on reason and the "literal" word - claims of special revelation is simply opinion of the claimant.
I believe in the separation of religion and state. There's no such term as "church" or such terms in the Constitution. The State is to remain neutral which is not the case today. Ongoing efforts to de-Christianize the culture and substituting other secular pseudo-religions (environmentalism is the most common) is not neutrality.
Anyone that thinks environmentalism isn't a religion needs to read Al Gore's Earth in the Balance for proof on that. I bought the book, read it, and can prove it.
To quote Frank Furedi Professor of Sociology at University of Kent, "...the authors of children's books and school officials also use environmentalism as a vehicle for socializing youngsters." This is not a function of schools that today produce millions of dysfunctional and illiterate graduates. If the Religious Right did this there would be screaming in the faculty lounge. What happened to separation of church and state?
Reason keeps us sane, but the spiritual makes us human. I understand people differ and have differing views of reality, but any time society attempts to enforce conformity history shows this leads to tyranny and eventually ruin. Just be aware and be moderate on these issues.
So make no mistake I reject Environmentalism when it involves any form of spiritualism or enters politics. The other belief system I have zero tolerance of is Leftism.
'Leftism' is a term coined by Dennis Prager. He writes,
You cannot understand the Left if you do not understand that Leftism is a religion. It is not God-based (some left-wing Christians' and Jews' claims notwithstanding), but otherwise it has every characteristic of a religion. The most blatant of those characteristics is dogma. People who believe in Leftism have as many dogmas as the most fundamentalist Christian ... dogma - a belief system that transcends reason...
- Exposing 'Non-Jewish Jews'
- An Overview Gnosticism
- Apostle Paul Founder of Christianity
- Apostle Paul versus Pelagius
- The Holocaust by Rabbi Meir Kahane
- Why Kahane was Right by Lewis Loflin
- Topics on Religion and Environmentalism
- Proof Limiting Mass Immigration Helps the Working Poor
- Mass Immigration Displaces Black Workers
- Modern Deist Manifesto Based on Classical Deism
- Gnosticism as Explained by Bishop N. T. Wright
- Deist Critique of the Gospel of Mark
- Religious Syncretism and Christianity
- Classical Deist' View of Religion and Its Application Today
- Taking a Closer Look at Gnosticism and Christianity
- Thoughts on Theistic Evolution and Deism by Lewis Loflin
- My Answer to a Secular Fundamentalist by Lewis Loflin
- Separation of Pseudo-Religion and State
- Environmentalism Religion or Political Philosophy?
- Why Christian Morals Need to be Rejected
- Myth of Early Islam
- Sickness of Afghan-Muslim Culture
- Failure in Seattle Schools
- Look at C.S. Lewis on Evolution
- Quotes from C.S. Lewis
- Permission to believe (in God) Dr Gerald Schroeder
- Where the Bible meets the Big Bang
- Evolution and the early church, and Islam
- Christian Orthodoxy On Creationism and Evolution
- Handbook on the History of Modern Science
Science and Why I'm an Evolutionist
We are often given a choice of two extremes - either one must have blind faith in some book with dictated nonsense or in atheism. Both are false choices and I'm not buying it.
Science has been a life-long love and I'm very defensive of it. I reject the abuse of science to bolster various political claims and the invasion of money, religion, and politics into research. I define science as strictly the description of the physical operation of the universe as defined by my chemistry professor in college, a devout Christian.
Science is no more about "truth" than the computer gadgets I build on my other website. Those divices do give some indication of their builder-creator, but are hardly objects for worship in themselves.
I've had college level physics, chemistry, and biology, but claim no expertise in these fields. I've read every science text in the school library and have been an amateur geologist since I was a kid. I loved collecting fossils and rocks from the coal-mining sites near Norton, Virginia. Strip mines are great for collecting fossils.
I'm very strict on the scientific method and the proper use of it. To quote, "It is a process for making observations, recording data, and analyzing data that can be duplicated by other scientists...If a theory cannot be tested, it cannot be a scientific theory." That makes me a big skeptic of any claim that refuses to follow it. Without verifiable scientific proof I'm not going to buy into it for the same reason I reject literal Six-Day Creationism.
- Introduction to the scientific method.
- The scientific method.
- How Alarmists undermine Science and Theology
- 25 Questions and answers for Creationism
- Why fundamentalists are beyond reason.
- Evolution debate in schools
The problem is that democracy is not freedom. Democracy is simply majoritarianism, which is inherently incompatible with real freedom. Our founding fathers clearly understood this, as evidenced not only by our republican constitutional system...Simply put, freedom is the absence of government coercion.
- My View of Other Faiths
- Progressivism as Democratic Tyranny
- How Bloggers are Taking on the Press in Bristol VA/TN
- Origins of the US Constitution
- Why Your College Degree is Worthless in Tri-Cities
- Humanism, the Early Church, and Rational Religion The American Unitarian
To quote a visitor to this website:
I think it is safe to say, that with the election of Barack Obama as president, that there is no way that a tiny elite of rich powerful Jews controls the world. The conspiracy theories that say a tiny elite of rich powerful Jews controls the world are undeniably flat wrong. If there was such a powerful group they would have never let him become president. The Jewish conspiracy theory is completely busted.
D.C. RN, BSN
The Wall Street Journal reports (April 22, 2002) that some colleges are recruiting Jewish students to give them higher status in terms of SAT scores. The Journal also reports that highest three groups in SATs are Unitarians, Jews, and Quakers.
- Christianity as a sect of Judaism?
- Who killed Jesus?
- Remembering the Jews of Monticello
- Why Judaism is not a Race
- Questions on Christian Antisemitism by Lewis Loflin
- Alexander, the Jews, and Hellenism
- More on Alexander the Great, the Jews, and Hellenism
- Hellenistic Period After Alexander
- Alexandrian Philosophy and Judaism
- Platonism and Christianity
- Demiurge Creator of the World
- Allegorical Interpretation
- Hellenism and Its Influences on Judaism in Alexandria
- Historical Jesus FAQ by Jorn Barger
- Overview Hellenistic Judaism
- History of Christianity in Egypt
- Christian Gospels a Christian Overview
- Zoroastrianism and Judaism According to the Jewish Encyclopedia