Writer James Lovelock Backtracks on Revenge of Gaia
Most institutions demand unqualified faith;
but the institution of science makes skepticism a virtue.
— Robert King Merton, sociologist (1910-2003)
James Lovelock the father of the Gaia hypothesis has had to backtrack on the hysterical predictions in his 2006 book "The Revenge of Gaia." He also notes that environmentalists have turned his work into a religion. He noted this with alarm in his original Ages of Gaia circa 1979.
On the subject of alleged human driven climate change shouting "deniers" is silly. Using terms such as "deniers" is something that religious fanatics would say in this case climate heresy. Skepticism is the proper role of science and questioning the hypotheses of human induced climate change is scientific and not crazy.
There is no doubt about climate change is real, but empirical proof as to why is another question. What is beyond doubt is change is constant and sometimes dramatic.
Yet all we get constantly is the opinions of select scientists - the opinions of scientist do not constitute science or empirical proof. In addition these scientists for hire are instructed to limit their evidence to human causes, while disregarding natural causes - this stacks the deck before we even begin.
It should also be noted most ground based weather monitoring has been abandoned in resent years for less effective satellite monitoring - then they fill in the gaps with guesses and computer generated data. No surprise that after the adjustments they proved a slight warming of 1.4 degree Fahrenheit in 200 years.
Computer models do not represent empirical scientific proof either. Trying to prove a hypothesis and spending millions of grant dollars expecting a desired outcome is completely unethical and violates the scientific method.
This is why their computer models always fail because of the refusal to look at natural causes.
Politicizing science undermines its credibility and it is not as the New York Times claims about "faith in science" - faith is for religion. Science is about data and verifiable scientific proof.
In the Guardian.com March 30, 2014 Dr. Lovelock says, "It's become a religion, and religions don't worry too much about facts."
Dr. Lovelock is an ardent supporter of hydraulic fracturing for shale gas and nuclear power. This would go a long ways in solving the alleged carbon dioxide crisis preached by spiritual ecologists - but they reject any practical solutions. Implementing their political agenda in the name of Gaia is the real goal.
Spiritualism aside the agenda is about socialism and redistribution of wealth, not technology or solving any actual problem. There are a number of extremists among them that believe anything man-made amounts to evil. Louis Pecci wrote the following on Facebook:
"Humans are the worst thing that happened to earth. I hope that we all disappear, so the earth can heal itself. So, please do not stop using your cars, buy every shit that you see and please pollute as much as you can... Do not forget money is your God, and you do anything for it."
Hopefully Louis will commit suicide reducing his carbon dioxide emissions and removing himself from the gene pool. Environmentalists are not monolithic, but far too many are driven by scientific ignorance, political agendas, and yes a spiritual outlook.
In the past alarmists have voiced legitimate concerns over:
1) Resource depletion. In the 1970s as a teenager I watched a special on television that by the year 2000, eleven major industrial metals would be depleted. Didn't happen as changing technology including far better pollution controls made more material available. Man-made materials replaced or supplemented known reserves.
2) Peak oil, energy shortages, pollution. None of this happened, except pollution in China, etc. Changes in technology including pollution control eliminated most pollution in advanced nations. Coal use has declined replaced by cheap and abundant natural gas. Oil shale technology, hydraulic fracturing, and horizontal drilling have created record oil and gas output - the United States is or will be the largest oil producer. America is already the largest natural gas producer.
In addition the World Health Organization (W.H.O.) in 2016 noted the United States is the least polluting developed nation in the world second only to low population Canada. Yes, far less polluting than Europe, etc. China, India, Brazil, etc. are the real polluters.
We can curb most pollution because affordable energy and affordable food and good a standard of living make pollution control affordable. Government imposed shortages and rationing in the name of ecological spiritualism will do just the opposite - plus human misery for no good reason.
3) Over-population, mass starvation by 1990, then by 2000, then by whenever. Didn't happen. Technology, the Green Revolution, and added CO2 has created massive grain harvests across the world. In fact there is so much food available farmers across the world struggle to sell their surpluses.
Birth rates continue to fall as poor nations can get affordable food and energy. A few solar panels on a mud hut is not a solution to anything.
The real solution to real pollution is affordable energy driven by technology that drives better pollution controls, products that use less resources, and that develops new resources from useless materials.
But we won't get there by centralized planning or socialist economics or feel-good ecological spiritualism. Venezuela a once wealthy country with abundant energy stands as an example how not to do things.
Quick navigation of my homepage (offsite):
- Electronics Hobby Projects What's New?
- Assorted Essays on Religion
- Deism and Reason
- Judaism History
- Christianity and History
- Bristol Virginia
- US Constitution
- General 1
- General 2
- Environmentalism 1
- Environmentalism 2
- Reason 1
- Reason 2
- Science vs. Environmentalism
- How Ecological Homeostasis and Hysteresis Regulate Climate
- How Warmer Climate Can Mean More Life
- Ages of Gaia Writer James Lovelock Sounds an Alarm
- Writer James Lovelock Backtracks on Revenge of Gaia
- Hypsithermal Warming Spreads Civilization
- Shockingly Rapid Climatic Shifts are Real
- Bikini Atoll Recovery From Nuclear Blasts
- NASA says Earth Going Greener
- Climate change changes history:
- Fall of the Late Roman Empire
- End of the Vikings in Greenland
- Lost Colony of Roanoke Island
- Whale Fossils Reveal Past Ice Free Northwest Passage