Two Black Males Arrested for 2011 Kingsport Murder
Kingsport Police Department arrested two Johnson City men for a 2011 murder.
Note the victim was also black and was shot in the back. While the motive is officially robbery I'd bet drugs were involved.
On August 3, 2011 at approximately 3:30 PM, K.P.D. Patrol Officers responded to 937 Dale Street in Kingsport in reference to a shooting. Upon arrival, responding officers located Jarrett A. Hughes lying on the floor in the hallway of the residence with a fatal gunshot wound to his back. Initial witness reports indicated that two black male suspects entered the residence through the back door, shot Mr. Hughes, and fled the scene.
K.P.D. Sgt. Frank Light, assisted by Detective Randy Murray, led an extensive two-year investigation, consisting of over 60 interviews conducted across East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia. Their investigation revealed that Dominique Lashon Morrison, a.k.a. "Domo," and Jarrod Logan Anderson, a.k.a. "Hoodie," went to 937 Dale Street on August 3, 2011, armed with a handgun, with the intention of robbing Jarrett Hughes. During the commission of the robbery, the situation escalated, and the suspects shot Mr. Hughes in the back.
On August 13, 2013, this case was presented to the Sullivan County Grand Jury seeking indictment, and a true bill was returned charging Mr. Morrison and Mr. Anderson with 1st Degree Felony Murder, Attempted Especially Aggravated Robbery, and Aggravated Assault. A Sullivan County Criminal Court Capias was subsequently issued for their arrest. On August 14, 2013, with assistance from the Johnson City Police Department's Patrol and Vice Units, Kingsport Police Detectives arrested Mr. Morrison and Mr. Anderson in Johnson City, TN without incident.
David Quillin, K.P.D. Interim Chief of Police, issued the following statement: "This case was solved utilizing good, old-fashioned, detective work, and I want to commend all of the officers involved for their diligence throughout the investigation. It is our hope that the arrest of these two individuals offers at least some closure to the friends and family of Jarrett Hughes in this unfortunate event."
- Regional Crime
- Two Kingsport Men Arrested for Conspiracy to Commit Murder, Drug Charges
- Kingsport Couple Arrested for Meth Manufacturing in Backseat of Car
- Welfare Check for Three Children Yields Four Arrests for Meth
- Seatbelt Violation Leads to the Arrest of 14 People on Drug Charges
- Two Black Males Arrested for 2011 Kingsport Murder
- Missing License Plate Lands Stupid Man in Jail for Meth
- Two South Carolina Fugitives Rack Up Drug Charges in Kingsport
- Mother, Son, and Two Neighbors Busted for Drugs in Kingsport
- Three Arrested After Kingsport Police Stumble onto Drug Deal
- Kingsport Couple Arrested for Drugs at West Side Inn
- Congratulations Kingsport Crime Down in 2013
- Eleven Defendants Sentenced To Imprisonment For Bristol Crack Cocaine Conspiracy
- Holistic Doctor Sentenced on Drug Diversion Charges
- 68 People Face Counterfeit Check Charges
- Speeding violation leads to 2 arrests, drug and cash seizure
- Two Blacks Arrested at Public Housing for Gun-Drugs
- 43 People Arrested-Indicted for Drugs Spend Thanksgiving in Jail
- Mass Shooting in Bristol Tennessee Public Housing Leaves Five Dead
- Zero Tolerance Policies and African Americans in Tennessee Schools
- Robbery Suspects Run Down Washington County Tennessee Deputy
- Black Male Opens Fire at Kingsport Waffle House
- Crime by Race in Tennessee
- Crime and Violence on Indian Reservations