Beslan Child Slaughter Gallery 2
Results of the Beslan Attack
In the wake of Beslan terrorist attack, the Russian government proceeded to toughen laws on terrorism and expand the powers of law enforcement agencies.
In addition, Vladimir Putin signed a law which replaced the direct election of the heads of the federal subjects of Russia with a system whereby they are proposed by the President of Russia and approved or disapproved by the elected legislative bodies of the federal subjects.
The election system for the Russian parliament was also repeatedly amended, eliminating the election of State Duma members by single-mandate districts. The Kremlin consolidated its control over the Russian media and increasingly attacked the non-governmental organizations (especially those foreign-founded). Critics allege that the Putin circle of siloviki used the Beslan crisis as an excuse to increase their grip on Russia.
The attack also marked the end to the mass terrorism in the North Caucasus separatist conflict until 2010, when two Dagestani female suicide bombers attacked two train stations in Russia. After Beslan, there was a period of several years of lack of suicide attacks in and around Chechnya.
The raid on Beslan had, in fact, more to do with the Ingush involved than the Chechens, but was highly symbolic for both nations. The Ossetes and Ingush had (and have) a conflict over ownership of the Prigorodny District, which hit high points during the 1944 Stalinist purges, and the ethnic cleansing of Ingush by Ossetes (the Ossetes getting assistance from the Russian military) in 1992-3.
Once, however, it was broadcast that there were large numbers of children killed by a group that included Chechens, the Chechens were struck with a large amount of shame. One spokesman for the Chechen independence cause stated, "Such a bigger blow could not be dealt upon us...People around the world will think that Chechens are monsters if they could attack children". (Wiki)
- Being Sorry for the Beslan Child Slaughter
- Toll in Russia Climbs to 41 in Bombing at a Hospital
- Suicide Bombing on Russian Train Near Chechnya Kills 42
- Sickness of Afghan-Muslim Culture We Won't Address
- Rape-Murder of Pakistan's Christian Children
- Chechens-Islam justifies killing prisoners
- Radical Islamists must be stopped: the Beslan child slaughter
- What really happened at Beslan child slaughter?
- Al Qaeda among the Chechens
- They (Muslims) shoot children, don't they? By Dennis Prager
» Archive 1 » Archive 2 » Archive 3
» Archive 4 » Archive 5 » Archive 6
» Archive 7 » Archive 8 » Archive 9
- Deist Examination of Islamic Trinity
- Mohammed the Man as Islamic Ideology
- Why Muslims Can't Build a Lightbulb