Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
The box office flop Big Stone Gap The Movie got about $1 million in public pork touted as helping tourism in the economically depressed community of Big Stone Gap. I've been there several times since the movie was filmed and asked residents if they noticed anything has changed.
The answer was no, but it was fun to see the movie stars on parade. The movie debuted last November at the Virginia Film Festival in Charlottesville and if one hasn't really heard of it you are not alone.
Now in another effort to see some return from the earlier debacle they want to spend more public dollars to market the same old box office flop. The movie was based on a fictional book by the same name whose author lived there a few years, moved to New York and never came back - nor has she done anything for the town.
Now the Virginia Tourism Corporation under a scam called "Marketing Leverage Program" is wasting another $10,000 to "to develop TV campaigns, offer initiatives to host travel writers, increase visitation to Big Stone Gap and its attractions and to cross promote the movie and film in Southwest Virginia counties and towns."
None other than Virginia Delegate Terry Kilgore (R) who appeared in the movie is behind this. According to Mr. Kilgore:
"This is yet another example of regional cooperation resulting in economic development opportunities for the citizens of Southwest Virginia. I applaud the success of the Big Stone Gap The Movie campaign due to the leadership and vision of participating partners."
Really Mr. Kilgore? It's a success yet you are spending another $10,000 of our tax dollars to promote a movie that was so successful? Perhaps they could have spent this on something real for the community like say a health clinic or something other than pad the bank accounts of their friends running more non-profits. Mr. Kilgore by the way runs the Virginia Tobacco Commission and has faced a storm of controversy in the past.
- Updates for 2014
- More on Phil Puckett and the Virginia Tobacco Commission Scandal
- Virginia Tobacco Commission Scandals 2014
- Tobacco Commission Failure Once Again in 2014
- Exposing the Virginia Tobacco Commission Part 1
- Exposing the Virginia Tobacco Commission Part 2
- News updates May 2016
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Summer 2015
- Tri-Cities Jobs Report Summer 2015
- Gov. McAuliffe Another Porkbarrel King
- Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
- Washington County Virginia Loses 300 Jobs
- Washington County Virginia Replacement Jobs
- No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
- White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
- Bristol Virginia Residents Nailed for Higher Taxes and Fees
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare?
- Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey Stabs Consumers In the Back
- Virginia Tourism Low Wage Jobs
Last is most recent.
Local Crime 1 Local Crime 2
Local Crime 3 Local Crime 4
- Bristol Spends Millions for Jobs - Gets Nothing
- Raise Minimum Wage in Bristol
- Crime is Up Across Wise County Virginia
- 58 Meth Convections Illustrate Problem in Tri-Cities
- Jails and New Laws Won't Stop Meth Epidemic
How CGI-AMS and Northrop Grumman Failed Russell County
How Cable Ready Socialism Failed Southwest Virginia
Sprint Jumps State Line Collects Millions
U.S. Solutions Dumps Bristol Virginia for Bristol Tennessee
Travelocity Fails Dickenson County
- Tri-Cities Unemployment Up 2013-2014
- Crony Capitalism and the Government Loop
- Bristol VA-TN Government waste 2013
- Disability the Hidden Unemployment Program
- Steel Company Jumps County Line for Government Handouts
- Poverty and Guns Doesn't Equal Gun Crime
- CityMac Another Taxpayer Fiasco
- Layoffs Corporate Welfare at Eastman Chemical
- We Don't Hire People with College
- Single Parent Problem in Southwest Virginia
- Even Blacks Consider Blacks more Racist than Whites