Reflections on Current Hamas-Israel Hostilities
by Daniel Pipes
November 15, 2012
Cross-posted from National Review Online, The Corner
Two observations about the hostilities that began on Nov. 10:
(1) The old Arab-Israeli wars were military clashes, the recent ones are political clashes. The wars of 1948-49, 1967, and 1973 were life-and-death struggles for the Jewish state. But the wars of 2006, 2008-09, and now 2012 are media events in which Israeli victory on the military battlefield is foreordained and the struggle is to win public opinion. Opeds have replaced bullets, social media have replaced tanks. Will Israel prevail in arguing that its enemy initiated offensive action? Or will those enemies, Hamas or Hezbollah, convince observers that Israel is an illegitimate regime whose recourse to force is criminal? The war must be fought primarily as a media event.
(2) If Hamas knows it cannot defeat the Israel Defense Forces and will get a bloody nose for its efforts, it obviously has motives other than victory in mind. What might those be? Several come to mind:
- Test the waters in the aftermath of Barack Obama's reelection.
- Rouse public opinion against Israel and make it pay a price internationally.
- Refute accusations by Palestinian Islamic Jihad that it has abandoned "resistance."
- Remind the Palestinian Authority, as it seeks statehood at the United Nations, who controls Gaza.
- Rile up Israeli Arabs.
- Pre-empt Egyptian plans to destroy Gaza tunnels, as Cairo cannot be seen helping Israel in a time of crisis. (November 15, 2012)
This text may be reposted or forwarded so long as it is presented as an integral whole with complete information provided about its author, date, place of publication, and original URL.
- Islamic Skepticism:
- The Myth of Early Islam by Lewis Loflin
- A briefing by Robert Spencer: Did Muhammad Exist?
- Uncovering Early Islam: Critique by Daniel Pipes
- Book Review: Did Muhammad Exist?
- The Origins of the Koran by Ibn Warraq
- Why I'm Not Muslim by Ibn Warraq
- The Golden Age of Islam is a Myth
- Myth of Early Islam
- Why Arabs-Muslims can't Handle Liberty
- Debunking Panendeism
- Original Sin an Overview
- Failure in Seattle Schools
What does Al Gore say about the 'science' behind climate change?
"As it happens, the idea of social justice is inextricably linked in the Scriptures with ecology."
- Exploring Religion and Environmentalism
- Taking a Sober View on Climate Change
- Social Agenda Behind Environmentalism
- Environmental-Government Complex is about Money
- From Leslie J. Sacks:
- Political Correctness - Our Titanic
- Why Islam is in Desperate Need of a Reformation
- Death of Democracy by President Obama?
- Unspoken Racism of America by Leslie Sacks