Single Motherhood Not Racism Problem Among Low-Achieving Minorities
compiled by Lewis Loflin
The shift is affecting children's lives. Researchers have consistently found that children born outside marriage face elevated risks of falling into poverty, failing in school or suffering emotional and behavioral problems.
Fact: the biggest single factor for child poverty and a slew of other destructive social problems is single mothers. Those that are college graduates and most able to afford single motherhood about 94 percent are married. 73 percent of black children are born outside marriage, compared with 53 percent of Latinos (now producing the largest number of unwed teen mothers) and 29 percent of whites.
Most of that 29 percent of whites are lower-class uneducated whites with few job skills having to compete in an economy where many low-end jobs simply don't pay enough to live on. Once this trend goes beyond about 35 percent in a community we suffer full scale breakdown. This is what has ruined low-achieving communities such as blacks and Hispanics, not racism as the New York Times likes to suggest. And why should society in general be held liable for the chosen misbehavior of others?
But it's not considered misbehavior, but normal.
Besides the chronic economic problems this entails, social breakdown makes the situation worse. Poor people can't afford these problems because they lack the resources to deal with them. According to www.bvblackspin.com, homes without fathers ultimately affect children in numerous tragic ways:
63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes
90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes
85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes
80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes
71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes
75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers come from fatherless homes
85% of all youths in prison come from fatherless homes.
To further quote,
Compared to the 72 percent in our communities, 17 percent of Asians, 29 percent of whites, 53 percent of Hispanics and 66 percent of Native Americans were born to unwed mothers in 2008, the most recent year for which government figures are available. The rate for the overall U.S. population was 41 percent.
The following is an extract from February 17, 2012 For Women Under 30, Most Births Occur Outside Marriage
LORAIN, Ohio - It used to be called illegitimacy. Now it is the new normal. After steadily rising for five decades, the share of children born to unmarried women has crossed a threshold: more than half of births to American women under 30 occur outside marriage.
Once largely limited to poor women and minorities, motherhood without marriage has settled deeply into middle America. The fastest growth in the last two decades has occurred among white women in their 20s who have some college education but no four-year degree, according to Child Trends, a Washington research group that analyzed government data...59 percent in 2009 - are married when they have children...
One group still largely resists the trend: college graduates, who overwhelmingly marry before having children. That is turning family structure into a new class divide...
The recent rise in single motherhood has set off few alarms, unlike in past eras. When Daniel Patrick Moynihan, then a top Labor Department official and later a United States senator from New York, reported in 1965 that a quarter of black children were born outside marriage - and warned of a "tangle of pathology"- he set off a bitter debate.
By the mid-1990s, such figures looked quaint: a third of Americans were born outside marriage. Congress, largely blaming welfare, imposed tough restrictions. Now the figure is 41 percent - and 53 percent for children born to women under 30, according to Child Trends, which analyzed 2009 data from the National Center for Health Statistics...
Large racial differences remain: 73 percent of black children are born outside marriage, compared with 53 percent of Latinos and 29 percent of whites. And educational differences are growing. About 92 percent of college-educated women are married when they give birth, compared with 62 percent of women with some post-secondary schooling and 43 percent of women with a high school diploma or less, according to Child Trends.
Almost all of the rise in nonmarital births has occurred among couples living together...Money helps explain why well-educated Americans still marry at high rates: they can offer each other more financial support, and hire others to do chores that prompt conflict...Reviewing the academic literature, Susan L. Brown of Bowling Green State University recently found that children born to married couples, on average, "experience better education, social, cognitive and behavioral outcomes."
Here is a typical example from the article of a unwed welfare mother: Lisa Mercado, an unmarried mother in Lorain, would not be surprised by that. Between nursing classes and an all-night job at a gas station, she rarely sees her 6-year-old daughter, who is left with a rotating cast of relatives. The girl's father has other children and rarely lends a hand. "I want to do things with her, but I end up falling asleep," Ms. Mercado said.
Then why the hell did this women sleep around with a man she knew had other children he wasn't likely taking care of? There is no way this women couldn't be on welfare and this will negatively impact her child because she has no time for the child. In addition she will have problems ever getting married because many men simply don't want the responsibility of raising another man's child. In far too many cases of live-in boyfriends there is an increase in child molestation and sexual abuse.
Read the full version at the New York Times
- Single Motherhood and Not Racism is the Problem
- Profile of a Stupid Single Mother
- The Deluded Conservative View of Poverty
- The Deluded Liberal View of Poverty
- Researchers get $705,000 to study stressed-out birds
- Insourcing of Foreign Students & Engineers Top U.S. Priority
- Palestine 1921
- Testimony of Arafat's Nazi Uncle in 1937
- Who is an Arab Jew? Albert Memmi
- Portraying Jews as 'White Europeans' Feeds Anti-Israel Agenda
- The Arabs in the Holy Land: Natives or Aliens?
- Islam and Science
- Chronology: Early Islam
- The Golden Age of Islam is a Myth
- The Sources of the Koran Durant
- The Qur'an
- Cosmology and the Koran: A Response to Muslim Fundamentalists (2001)
- Koran: Form and Origins by Will Durant
- The Origins of the Koran Ibn Warraq
- Mohammed in Mecca by Will Durant
- Mohammed in Medina: 622-30 by Will Durant
- Isa Masih July 1998: Problems with the Qur'an
- Mohammed Victorious: 630-32 by Will Durant
- RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE WEST by Fjordman
- Where the Bible meets the Big Bang
- The Jews of Spain and Rambam
- The Eastern Roman Empire by Turgut Ozal
- Rational Thinking explores Islam, Quran, and Muhammad
- The Philosophical Legacy of the 16th and 17th Century Socinians
- Virginia Republicans are Hypocrites on Welfare
- Poverty a Complicated Issue Bristol Virginia-Tennessee
- Islamic Skepticism:
- The Myth of Early Islam by Lewis Loflin
- A briefing by Robert Spencer: Did Muhammad Exist?
- Uncovering Early Islam: Critique by Daniel Pipes
- Book Review: Did Muhammad Exist?
- The Origins of the Koran by Ibn Warraq
- Why I'm Not Muslim by Ibn Warraq
- The Golden Age of Islam is a Myth
I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life. I believe the equality of man, and I believe that religious duties consist in doing justice, loving mercy, and endeavoring to make our fellow-creatures happy. Thomas Paine
- Fear of Islam Not Islamophobia
- Islam Versus Deism
- A Critical Look at Deism
- Europeans as Victims of (Muslim) Colonialism
- The Historical Reality of the Muslim Conquests
- Dangers of Political Islam by Lewis Loflin
- Are Judaism and Christianity as Violent as Islam?
- Judeo-Christian Violence vs. Islamic Violence
Excerpts from Will Durant's The Age of Faith Pages 162-186 Pub. 1950
- Koran: Form
- Mohammed in Mecca: 569-622
- Mohammed in Medina: 622-630
- Mohammed Victorious: 630-632
- Islam and Science
- Religious Themes
- Archive 1
- Archive 2
- Archive 3
- Archive 4
- Archive 5
- Archive 7
- Archive 8
- Archive 9
- Archive 10
- US Constitution
- Bristol VA/TN
- What Really Killed the Dinosaurs?
- What Killed Stone Age America?
- Modern Humans in Asia 80,000 Years Ago
- Noah's Flood Fact or Fable?