Egypt-Muslim Brotherhood MP Seeks to Abolish Female Rights
by Raymond Ibrahim
April 26, 2012
According to the Egyptian website Youm 7, Azza al-Jarf, a female Member of Parliament representing the Muslim Brotherhood's "Freedom and Justice Party," is trying to abolish several laws currently enjoyed by Egyptian women-including preventing them from divorcing or even separating from their husbands, because "the man has the authority and stewardship" (see Koran 4:34); mandating that fathers must circumcise their daughters; and trying to get the Egyptian educational system to ban the teaching of the English language-on the grounds that it is an "infidel" tongue-while separating boys and girls in classrooms and forcing girls to wear the hijab.
Ms. Jarf, of course, is not the first Muslim female in Egypt opposed to her own gender; earlier, another female politician declared that "women are deficient in intelligence and religion," and that, in agreement with Sharia law, they are banned from running for presidency.
At any rate, repressive and discriminatory laws, not to mention laws that mutilate the human body-such represent the Muslim Brotherhood's idea of "Freedom and Justice," the telling name of their political wing.
Raymond Ibrahim is a Shillman Fellow at the David Horowitz Freedom Center and an Associate Fellow at the Middle East Forum.
This text may be reposted or forwarded so long as it is presented as an integral whole with complete information provided about its author, date, place of publication, and original URL.
- Raymond Ibrahim testifies before the U.S. House of Representatives
- Congressman Calls for Hearings on 'Radicalization' of White Christian Women
- Evils of the Muslim Brotherhood
- Terrorism is Not Road Rage
- Muslim Persecution of Christians March, 2012
- Egypt - Abolish Female Rights
- Jihadist Roots of the Norway Massacre
- Egypt - Islamists vs. Copts
- Egyptian Election - Islamist Victory?
The following are based on a classical deist viewpoint - we are here to learn not just mindless attacks.
- Topics on Religion and Environmentalism
- Gnosticism as Explained by Bishop N. T. Wright
- Deist Critique of the Gospel of Mark
- Religious Syncretism and Christianity
- Classical Deist' View of Religion and Its Application Today
- Taking a Closer Look at Gnosticism and Christianity
- Thoughts on Theistic Evolution and Deism by Lewis Loflin
- My Answer to a Secular Fundamentalist by Lewis Loflin
- Separation of Pseudo-Religion and State
- Environmentalism Religion or Political Philosophy?
- Why Christian Morals Need to be Rejected
- Myth of Early Islam
- Sickness of Afghan-Muslim Culture