The Y1K Crisis:
Canterbury, England. A.D. 999
An atmosphere close to panic prevails today throughout Europe as the millennial year 1000 approaches, bringing with it the so-called "Y1K Bug," a menace which, until recently, hardly anyone had ever heard of. Prophets of doom are warning that the entire fabric of Western Civilization, based as it now is upon monastic computations, could collapse, and that there is simply not enough time left to fix the problem.
Just how did this disaster-in-the-making ever arise? Why did no one anticipate that a change from a three-digit to a four-digit year would throw into total disarray all liturgical chants and all metrical verse in which any date is mentioned? Every formulaic hymn, prayer, ceremony and incantation dealing with dated events will have to be rewritten to accommodate three extra syllables.
All tabular chronologies with three-space year columns, maintained for generations by scribes using carefully hand-ruled lines on vellum sheets, will now have to be converted to four- space columns, at enormous cost. In the meantime, the validity of every official event, from baptisms to burials, from confirmations to coronations, may be called into question.
We should have seen it coming," says brother Cedric of St. Michael's Abbey, here in Canterbury. "What worries me most is that 'THOUSAND' contains the word 'THOU,' which occurs in nearly all our prayers, and of course always refers to God. Using it now in the name of the year will seem almost blasphemous, and is bound to cause terrible confusion.
Of course, we could always use Latin, but that might be even worse -- The Latin word for 'Thousand' is 'Mille' - which is the same as the Latin for 'mile.' We won't know whether we're talking about time or distance!" Stonemasons are already reported threatening to demand a proportional pay increase for having to carve an extra numeral in all dates on tombstones, cornerstones and monuments. Together with its inevitable ripple effects, this alone could plunge the hitherto-stable medieval economy into chaos.
A conference of clerics has been called at Winchester to discuss the entire issue, but doomsayers are convinced that the matter is now one of personal survival. Many families, in expectation of the worst, are stocking up on holy water and indulgences. Author unknown.
- On Religion and the Fall of Civilization by Will Durant
- Thoughts on Theistic Evolution and Deism by Lewis Loflin
- My Answer to a Secular Fundamentalist by Lewis Loflin
- Why Judaism Is The Key To Deism
- Judaism and politics
- Why Islam is in Desperate Need of a Reformation
- Exposing 'Non-Jewish Jews'
- Apostle Paul versus Pelagius
- The Devil in Judaism
- Original Sin
- End Times
- Apostle Paul
- Apostle John
- John Calvin
- St. Augustine
- Martin Luther
- New Age
- Who is Nature's God?
- The Founding Fathers Were NOT Christians or Secular Humanists
- Why Fundamentalist Churches are often Cults
- Saul of Tarsus, Mithraic Cults, and Christ's Blood
- In 1796, U.S. Vowed Friendliness With Islam
- The Jesus Tapes
- Sullivan County, Tennessee Religious Wars
- The Christian Reich in Sullivan County, Tennessee
- Jerry Falwell, the Antichrist, attacks Jews
- Children Pay the Cost of Superstition
- Bob Jones University Responds to racism and anti-Catholic accusations
- Fundamentalist Foolishness, Bob Jones, George Bush
- Roman Catholicism and Biblical Christianity
- Bob Jones at Home in Sullivan County Tennessee
- Permission to believe (in God) Dr Gerald Schroeder
- Where the Bible meets the Big Bang
- 25 Questions and answers for Creationism
- Introduction to the scientific method.
- The scientific method.
- How Alarmists undermine Science and Theology
- A Look at C.S. Lewis on Evolution
- Quotes from C.S. Lewis
- Evolution and the early church, and Islam
- Christian Orthodoxy On Creationism and Evolution
- A Handbook on the History of Modern Science
- Origins Of America-Bashing and Marxist Failure
- Socialist Roots of Modern Anti-Semitism
- The Chorus of Useful (Leftist) Idiots
- Chick-fil-A Standing Against Gay Fascism