White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
Built in the 19th century White's Mill fell into disrepair and was largely abandoned in the 1970s. Local politicians cooked up another scan to tap redevelopment dollars - or in this case transportation funds.
If you're confused why transportation funds are going into a completely non-transportation project welcome to the corruption capital of the world. Not reported was thousands of dollars from local taxpayers. Economic development grants from the Tobacco Commission were used for a library in Damascus Virginia at the other end of the County.
Started in 2001 the White's Mill Foundation has since collected a $486,000 federal grant administered through the Virginia Department of Transportation to fix up the old wreck. In 2011 politicians managed to pilfer $43,000 from the Virginia Tobacco Commission an agency rocked by scandal and corruption which led to jail time for an ex-governor.
Apparently even after all of this pork they will be seeking more money I'm sure from taxpayer coffers. The scammers behind this nonsense claim it will draw 10,000 visitors a year. Total nonsense they must've bought another study from the Weldon Cooper Center.
But one can go there and buy a bag of cornmeal. When asked how many jobs this is supposed to create no answer was forthcoming. Reference Bristol Herald Courier June 26, 2015.
Quoting Ed Barlow before the Sullivan County Chamber of Commerce,
"Seniors create low-wage service jobs. They tend to withdraw from working, and they generally don't create new wealth. A retirement community strategy has long-term negative economic consequences unless there is a diverse economic base of other employees around it...A significant component of your economic future in Sullivan County is recruiting Hispanics, making sure they get highly educated and integrated into the community."
In 2011 Bristol-Tri-Cities was ranked number 5 in the 10 poorest cities in America by www.DailyFinance.com.
- News updates May 2016
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Tri-Cities Jobs Report Summer 2015
- Gov. McAuliffe Another Porkbarrel King
- Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
- Washington County Virginia Loses 300 Jobs
- Washington County Virginia Replacement Jobs
- No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
- White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
- Bristol Virginia Residents Nailed for Higher Taxes and Fees
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare?
- Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey Stabs Consumers In the Back
- Virginia Tourism Low Wage Jobs
- Blogging sites (this one) in the news
- Why the public should be angry about Bristol Compressors
- Responses to Ed Barlow of Creating the Future
- Clear Creek Mobile Home Park Travesty
- Bulldozing Clear Creek Mobile Home Park
- Local activist working to help displaced trailer park residents
- Study Says White Families' Wealth Advantage Has Grown
- Bristol Loses Another 185 Jobs State Workers in Poverty
- Will Bristol Virginia become a toxic waste dump with Nulife Glass?
- Job Market Continues to Implode in Tri-Cities Bristol in 2015
- Crime by Race in Virginia 2012
- Raising Taxes to Pay Police While Looting Public Funds
- Bristol-Southwest Virginia Lost Another 2800 Residents Since 2010
- Tax Break for Stupid Country Music Museum Schools Go Without
- The demise of the Virginia coal industry
- What about some solutions for Southwest Virginia?
- Social Breakdown in Tri-Cities Virginia Tennessee
- Republicans push corporate welfare for the coal industry
- Youth unemployment in Bristol Tri-cities continues to explode
- Oikophobia and Other Mental Disorders of Liberals
- How Government Exported Black Crime into Ferguson Missouri
- St. Louis Black Youth Gunshot Death Rate
- Crime Rates by Race in Missouri
- When a Violent Thug Becomes a Victim of Racism
- Ages of Gaia, Science, and Environmental Religion
- How Bacteria Created Natural Nuclear Fission
- Michael Crichton Speech - Environmentalism as Religion
- Science Facts Debunks Michael "Hockey Stick" Mann
- Environmentalism as Religion by Michael Fumento
- Environmentalism's Fear-Loathing of Technology
- How Ecological Homeostasis and Hysteresis Regulate Climate
- Origins of the Moon and Life on Earth
- Great Dying Mystery and the End of the Dinosaurs
- Virginia Congressman Confronts Climate Scientists