No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
June 25, 2015 Bristol Tennessee: local press reports are hopeful that Cootie Browns restaurant will soon open. Located on the Volunteer Parkway at the location of the old liquor store the project has been stalled and limping along for over two years. The press report notes that they don't even have their certificate of occupancy.
There is already a Cootie Brown's in Kingsport and Johnson City. What the real celebration is are 150 high-paying high-tech jobs. Oh, excuse me I meant part-time low-paying jobs. What makes this interesting is no corporate welfare package from the city.
Unlike several restaurants in Bristol Virginia including an ice cream stand that got $25,000 no taxpayer money is going into this project. It seems Bristol Tennessee is a little more sane than Bristol Virginia.
Compare this to the Cabela's retail store being located at exit 5 in Bristol Virginia. This project is costing the taxpayers $100 million in subsidies and grants. In one case a $17 million check to the company.
Now they have finally announced that we will be getting 150 mainly part-time and seasonal jobs. What am I missing here? Think about it - $100 million for 150 low-end part-time and seasonal jobs. And all of this was started mainly to compete with Bristol Tennessee to pull tax revenue away from its Pinnacle Development.
The Pinnacle has done nothing more than shutting down the existing Bristol Mall about a mile away. Parks Belk has relocated there in Tennessee while officials are claiming the creation of new jobs. This is just part of the ongoing lies and conceit passing for economic development.
Reference Bristol Herald Courier June 25, 2015.
Quoting Ed Barlow before the Sullivan County Chamber of Commerce,
"Seniors create low-wage service jobs. They tend to withdraw from working, and they generally don't create new wealth. A retirement community strategy has long-term negative economic consequences unless there is a diverse economic base of other employees around it...A significant component of your economic future in Sullivan County is recruiting Hispanics, making sure they get highly educated and integrated into the community."
In 2011 Bristol-Tri-Cities was ranked number 5 in the 10 poorest cities in America by www.DailyFinance.com.
- News updates May 2016
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Tri-Cities Jobs Report Summer 2015
- Gov. McAuliffe Another Porkbarrel King
- Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
- Washington County Virginia Loses 300 Jobs
- Washington County Virginia Replacement Jobs
- No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
- White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
- Bristol Virginia Residents Nailed for Higher Taxes and Fees
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare?
- Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey Stabs Consumers In the Back
- Virginia Tourism Low Wage Jobs
- Blogging sites (this one) in the news
- Why the public should be angry about Bristol Compressors
- Responses to Ed Barlow of Creating the Future
- Clear Creek Mobile Home Park Travesty
- Bulldozing Clear Creek Mobile Home Park
- Local activist working to help displaced trailer park residents
- Study Says White Families' Wealth Advantage Has Grown
- Bristol Loses Another 185 Jobs State Workers in Poverty
- Will Bristol Virginia become a toxic waste dump with Nulife Glass?
- Job Market Continues to Implode in Tri-Cities Bristol in 2015
- Crime by Race in Virginia 2012
- Raising Taxes to Pay Police While Looting Public Funds
- Bristol-Southwest Virginia Lost Another 2800 Residents Since 2010
- Tax Break for Stupid Country Music Museum Schools Go Without
- The demise of the Virginia coal industry
- What about some solutions for Southwest Virginia?
- Social Breakdown in Tri-Cities Virginia Tennessee
- Republicans push corporate welfare for the coal industry
- Youth unemployment in Bristol Tri-cities continues to explode
- Oikophobia and Other Mental Disorders of Liberals
- How Government Exported Black Crime into Ferguson Missouri
- St. Louis Black Youth Gunshot Death Rate
- Crime Rates by Race in Missouri
- When a Violent Thug Becomes a Victim of Racism
- Ages of Gaia, Science, and Environmental Religion
- How Bacteria Created Natural Nuclear Fission
- Michael Crichton Speech - Environmentalism as Religion
- Science Facts Debunks Michael "Hockey Stick" Mann
- Environmentalism as Religion by Michael Fumento
- Environmentalism's Fear-Loathing of Technology
- How Ecological Homeostasis and Hysteresis Regulate Climate
- Origins of the Moon and Life on Earth
- Great Dying Mystery and the End of the Dinosaurs
- Virginia Congressman Confronts Climate Scientists