Divided Justices Back Full Arrests on Minor Charges
This is truly troubling in that the Supreme Court has given local police or any other law enforcement agency an open license to jail citizens for even the most petty offence. Any cop in Virginia where we suffer endless roadblocks and seat belt checks will tell they can always find something wrong. (Virginia has state inspections on cars and can fine you at anytime for a tail light or bald tire, exhaust leak, etc.)
The truth is most Virginia and other police never pull that level of petty nonsense, but what if we have someone in a position of authority who wanted someone dealt with for whatever reason? In Sullivan County, Tennessee for example we have racial profiling, and a lot of religious bigotry, what then? Tennessee has just passed a new seat belt law and some politicians hove vowed to turn it into a crusade.
As one who has faced local politicians over my right of free speech and being blocked from the a county courthouse by a local cop on religious grounds, what if they invent some new safety law on carrying a protest sign? Walking on the sidewalk the wrong way? And the list is endless how politicians can crush peaceful (and Constitutional) political dissent or anything else.
Or even something as petty as dancing because some local religious fundamentalists think it's sinful, outlaw it, then jail anyone who dances. What about political correctness? They've already are passing a law in Tennessee fining newspapers for running ads that don't meet their "correctness" criteria. How about a website such as this? They could call it media, impose petty fines and jail anyone connected with it!
Many of our most basic civil rights are under assault from the left and right and this stupid decision has made us all sitting ducks for harassment and censorship. For a recent example in 2008 see Tennessee Deputy threatened to arrest 12-year-old girl for "unlawful photography"
Read the full story at the New York Times.
- Nicene Creed and the Truth about the Trinity
- The Non-Messianic Genealogy of Jesus
- Christian or cult? Mormons, Baptists slug it out online
- Judaism is not a Race
- General Contradictions in the New Testament
- Crucifixion-Resurrection Chart
- Jerry Falwell Sues State Virginia for More Tax-Free Property
- Martin Luther and the so-called "Reformers" Anabaptist' view of Calvin/Luther
- Fundamentalists Declare War on Liberty
- Churches Seek Right to Back Political Candidates
- Intolerance and the Christian Right
- All Those Christian Presidents
- Vatican Official Claims Illness Caused by Sin
- Why Fundamentalists are Living on Borrowed Time
- Moore makes a case against his monument
- The Pagan Payoff
- Virginia Senate panel kills Ten Commandments bill
- Which Creation Biblical Story?
- Ten Commandments bill wins preliminary approval
- Jesus' Outlook on the Ten Commandments
- Prophecy of Virgin Birth according to Judaism
- Who is a "real" Christian?
- Board to appeal ruling to end Bible classes
- Islam Vs. Deism
- Taking a Closer Look at Gnosticism and Christianity
- Alexander, the Jews, and Hellenism
- More on Alexander the Great, the Jews, and Hellenism
- Hellenistic Period After Alexander
- Alexandrian Philosophy and Judaism
- Religious Syncretism
- Platonism and Christianity
- Demiurge Creator of the World
- Allegorical Interpretation
- New Age
- The Devil
- Original Sin
- End Times
- Apostle Paul
- Apostle John
- John Calvin
- St. Augustine
- Martin Luther
- Prayer Protest in Scott County
- Prayer protest in Kingsport: Rule of Law Verses Mob Rule
- See You at the Flag Pole
- Case Against School Prayer