Clerics shaken by public anger at Saudi's religion cops
SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
October 12, 2003
ABU DHABI - Saudi clerics appear alarmed by the increased attacks on religious police.
Leading clerics have appealed to Crown Prince Abdullah Bin Aziz to bolster support for the religious police in wake of street fights in several cities as well as attacks in the kingdom-controlled media. The clerics met with Saudi leaders and appealed to them to increase enforcement of Islamic law.
The religious police, termed the Commission for Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice, has been termed brutal by leading Saudi columnists. In 2002, the police were blamed for the death of 15 female students who were prevented from leaving a burning building because they were deemed as improperly dressed.
Over the last month, Saudi journalists and witnesses have described arrests by religious police of married couples who were strolling in Saudi cities, Middle East Newsline reported.
In September, religious police and bystanders clashed as officers tried to arrest young pedestrians.
Last week, the governor of Mecca, Prince Abdul Majid, was called on to replace many of the religious police officers at the Grand Mosque. The mosque is the site of pilgrimage for millions of Muslims every year.
Columnist Hissah Al Oun described the beatings of elderly women by religious police who patrolled the mosque. Al Oun said the Saudi and foreign pilgrims had been trying to find a seat closer to the house of worship when they were attacked.
"The soldiers began kicking the women in their stomachs," Al Oun wrote. "Some fell down with their belongings scattered in all directions. Some of the soldiers even used their hands to push the women, an act that Islam strictly forbids."
- The Armanious Family Massacre
- Egypt's Endangered Christians
- Egyptian Copts Murdered by Islamism
- Islamic Mafia in Egypt
- Four killed in Muslim rioting near Coptic churches in Alexandria
- List of Muslim terror attacks in Egypt
- Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson blame America for 911
- Pat's Big Lie
- Coalition Survival Questioned
- Racism at the Christian Coalition
- Coalition Woes May Hinder Religious Right
- Pat's Diamond Scam
- Pat Robertson Warns Dover Pa of Disaster
- Pat Attacks Hindus
- Pat Robertson Loses It in Attack on High Court
- The Terrorist and the Televangelist: Charles Taylor and Pat Robertson
- Freemasons, Conspiracy Thinking, and Pat Robertson
- Pat Robertson and More Conspiracy Theories
- Conspiracy theories and Blacks
- The Hard Right and Conspiracy Theories
- A Messianic Bloodline, the Jews and Freemasonry
- Why Do Some People Hate Freemasonry? by D. Pipes
- Famous Freemasons
- What is the connection between Judaism and Freemasonry?
- St. Augustine and Evolution
- Saint Augustine and the Western Christian World-View
- Early Years of St Augustine
- St Augustine: Development of His Views
- St Augustine: Conversion and Ordination
- St. Augustine: Anti-Manicheanism and Pelagian Writings
- St Augustine: Manichean and Neoplatonist Period
- St. Augustine: Activity Against Donatism
- Notes on Neoplatonism
- Early Christian and Medieval Neoplatonism
- Pelagius: To Demetrias, why he was cleared of heresy
- Pelagius: Chapters
- Pelagius and why he was right.
- Defense Of The Freedom Of The Will
- How Christianity drew on Philo's synthesis of Judaism and Hellenism