Lebanon Protesters Set Embassy Afire
Anger Over Caricatures of Muhammad Targets Denmark, Christian Neighborhood
Washington Post February 6, 2006; A01 edited extracts
BEIRUT, Feb. 5 -- Thousands of Muslim rioters (may involved as many as 20,000 Muslims), enraged over the publication of caricatures of Islam's prophet Muhammad, set ablaze the Danish Embassy on Sunday and rampaged through a predominantly Christian neighborhood, escalating sectarian tensions in a country whose melange of faiths can sometimes serve as a microcosm of the world's religious divide...
in the streets, fistfights broke out between Christian and Muslim Lebanese after protesters threw rocks at a Maronite Catholic Church, broke windows at the Lebanese Red Cross office and shattered windshields of cars. Bands of Christian youths congregated with sticks and iron bars, promising to defend their neighborhoods...
The Danish Embassy was gutted and its granite facade scorched. Acrid black smoke spilled out of its windows hours later, as firefighters tried to contain the blaze. Workers swept up glass that littered the streets of the neighborhood of Ashrafiyeh...The protests took on an especially provocative tone in Lebanon, given its large Christian population and the still vivid memories of its 1975-90 civil war.
Until last year, Syria's military presence and command of the country's intelligence services made it the power broker in its smaller neighbor...a 23-year-old Muslim, took a break from his job at a restaurant and smoked a cigarette. "These things shouldn't happen, but at the same time, you have to show respect for religion," he said. As he spoke, a firetruck barreled down the street, its sirens blaring. "There has to be respect," he said. "Without respect, you get this..."
- Muslims March over Cartoons of the Prophet
- Cartoon jihad is not about hate censorship but Islam
- Cartoons and Islamic Imperialism
- The Clash to End All Clashes? Making sense of the cartoon jihad
- 2006 is shaping up to be the 'Year of Speaking Dangerously'
- The Protests At Mecca Meeting, Cartoon Outrage Crystallized
- Fury over Islam cartoons, calls for restraint
- Print Free or Die
- Sympathy for those who draw Anne Frank in bed with Hitler?
- Today it's some Mohammed cartoons; tomorrow it is you they will silence
- Curse of the Muslim moderates
- Western wimps missing chance to teach important lesson
- Submission is all in your dhimmitude
- International Religious Freedom Report 2004: Denmark
- Denmark Is Unlikely Front in Islam-West Culture War
- Dane Defends Press Freedom as Muslims Protest Cartoons
- More European Papers Print Cartoons of Muhammad, Fueling Dispute With Muslims
- Lebanon Protesters Set Embassy Afire
- Beirut Mob Burns Danish Mission Over Cartoons
- U.S. Says It Also Finds Cartoons of Muhammad Offensive
- Faces of Islam?? Main page
- Debunking Islamophobia
- Europeans Victims of (Muslim) Colonialism
- Deist Examination of Islamic Trinity
- Mohammed the Man as Islamic Ideology
- Why Muslims Can't Build a Lightbulb
- Bacon is not a Hate Crime
- Pedophilia Surrounds Afghan-Muslim Culture
- Myth of Early Islam
- Multiculturalism - Self-Liquidation of Europe
- Press Tries to Cover Up Muslim Violence
- Murdering Mother Hidden Face of Honor Killing
- Book Review Tom Kratman's Caliphate
- Who did what for Israel in 1948? America Did Nothing
- Original Sin an Overview
- Gnosticism as Explained by Bishop N. T. Wright
- Deist Critique of the Gospel of Mark
- Religious Syncretism and Christianity
- Biblical Monotheism an Overview
- Jesus was not Zoroaster or Buddha
- Judaism Versus Zoroastrianism
- What are we to believe?
- The Devil
- Hellenism Meets Judaism
- Zoroastrianism Sources