Ohio Strengthens Teaching of Evolution
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Update December 12, 2002
COLUMBUS, Ohio, Dec. 11 - The state school board unanimously approved on Tuesday standards that more strongly advocate the teaching of evolution while letting students fully criticize the legitimacy of the theory.
The standards do not require the teaching or testing of the alternate "intelligent design" theory, which says a higher intelligence guides the universe. The vote was 18 to 0, with 1 absence.
The board has worked since January on the guidelines, which teachers will be encouraged, but not required, to follow. They will be the basis of new tests that students have to pass to graduate. Evolution will be the sole origin-of-life theory on the tests, meaning that schools that avoid teaching Darwinian theory may put their students at a disadvantage.
Local districts may decide to teach intelligent design, the idea that life must have been designed by a nonspecified higher power because it is so complex, or other theories. The current standards to teach science to the 1.8 million students in Ohio do not mention the word "evolution." They recommend teaching "change through time," but do not specify what that involves.
- Scientific Case for a Transcendent God
- In Defense of Classical Deism
- Environmentalism is Still a Religion
- Europeans as Victims of (Muslim) Colonialism
- Fear and Loathing of Islam is not Islamophobia
- Exposing 'Non-Jewish Jews'
- An Overview Gnosticism
- Apostle Paul Founder of Christianity
- Apostle Paul versus Pelagius
- The Holocaust by Rabbi Meir Kahane
- Why Kahane was Right by Lewis Loflin
[ Challenge to Atheists 3 ] [ Challenge to Atheists 4 ]
[ Challenge to Atheists 5 ]
- Topics on Religion and Environmentalism
- Modern Deist Manifesto Based on Classical Deism
- Gnosticism as Explained by Bishop N. T. Wright
- Deist Critique of the Gospel of Mark
- Religious Syncretism and Christianity
- Classical Deist' View of Religion and Its Application Today
- Taking a Closer Look at Gnosticism and Christianity
- Thoughts on Theistic Evolution and Deism by Lewis Loflin
- My Answer to a Secular Fundamentalist by Lewis Loflin
- Separation of Pseudo-Religion and State
- Environmentalism Religion or Political Philosophy?
- Why Christian Morals Need to be Rejected
- Myth of Early Islam
- Sickness of Afghan-Muslim Culture
- Failure in Seattle Schools
- Saint Augustine and the Western Christian World-View
- St. Augustine and Original Sin in the West
- St. Augustine and Evolution
- Early Years of St Augustine
- St Augustine: Development of His Views
- St Augustine: Conversion and Ordination
- St. Augustine: Anti-Manicheanism and Pelagian Writings
- St Augustine: Manichean and Neoplatonist Period
- St. Augustine: Activity Against Donatism
- Additional Material on St. Augustine
- Notes on Neoplatonism
- Early Christian and Medieval Neoplatonism
- Pelagius and why he was right.
- How Christianity drew on Philo's synthesis of Judaism and Hellenism