French Deism: deistic Humanism, Pantheism
English Deism entered France, where, however, only its materialistic and revolutionary phases were seized upon, to the exclusion of that religiosity which had never been lost in England. French Deism stood outside of theology...Their moral theories...lost all connection with the position of Deism, which became for them a mere armory of weapons for the destruction of all religion with its consequences, intolerance and moral corruption.
The English writers who came to exercise the greatest influence were Hobbes, Locke, Shaftesbury, Pope, Bolingbroke, and Hume. Of the true Deists only Collins, the most critical and the least theological, became prominent." Ref. IEP
The "Enlightenment" was mainly a French affair. To quote, "A rational and scientific approach to religious, social, political, and economic issues promoted a secular view of the world and a general sense of progress and perfectibility. Some "philosophes" at first proposed that their theories be implemented by "enlightened despots" or rulers who would impose reform by authoritarian means."
And: "The main figures of the enlightenment are fairly well known: Descartes, Pascal, Bayle, Montesquieu, Voltaire, Diderot, and Rousseau. There were others whom we could call antagonists to the dominant note, people like Rousseau, Zinzendorf, Wesley, Vico, and Hume." It also set the stage for secular disasters such as socialism, fascism, Nazism.
- The French Deists: Voltaire
- Voltaire a History
- Deism Depicted (Voltaire) by Tracy Van Pelt
- The Religion of Voltaire: He was an atheist, anti-Semite, hated Islam
- John Adams Denounces Voltaire's anti-Semitism
- Voltaire's Deism
- The French Deists: The Encyclopedists
- Left vs Right, Montesquieu, Corporatism
- French Enlightenment overrated, historian says
- The Age of the Enlightenment
- The Enlightenment
- Quick Overview of the Enlightenment
- Enlightenment thought of 18th-century Europe and America.
- Socinianism - A forerunner to Modern Pantheism
- Panentheism versus Pantheism
- The French Deists: J. J. Rousseau
- Romanticism, Rousseau, and Primitivism
- Rousseau: An Interesting Madman
- Rousseau and the Revolt Against Reason
An interesting e-book on Rousseau entitled Rousseau and the Real Culture War by David Heleniak can be downloaded for free at http://www.lulu.com/content/844957. To quote, "In his examination of Jean-Jacques Rousseau's Second Discourse, David Heleniak contends that libertarians are the heirs of the Greco-Roman pagans and the "modern pagans" of the Enlightenment, conservatives are the end product of the Christian doctrine of original sin, and the American Left is the consequence of the doctrine as transformed by Rousseau." I've read this and highly recommend it.
- French Deism: deistic Humanism, Pantheism
- The English Deists: Introduction
- Is it Unitarianism or Deism?
- Islam to Deism
- Deism versus Islam
- Blackstone's View of Natural Law
- Existence of Deity/God by Thomas Jefferson
- Founding Fathers Religion Debate and Poll
- The Founding Fathers Speak Out on God, Religion
- On Thomas Jefferson and Religion
- Deism in America
- Was Thomas Jefferson a Deist?
- The Founding Fathers Were Not Christians or Secular Humanists
- Jefferson on the Morals of Jesus and Deism
- Thomas Jefferson and Peter Carr
- Thomas Jefferson: Deist or Christian? Debunking Dr James Kennedy
- The Jefferson Bible
- Thomas Jefferson's Wall of Separation
- Thomas Jefferson's Letters on Liberty and Religion
- Deism Mainpage
- A Broad Exploration of Deism
- Voltaire's Legacy of War on American Values
- How Voltaire's Atheism Overthrew Deism
- Rot in our Universities and Postcolonial Studies
- Scientific Case for a Transcendent God
- In Defense of Classical Deism
- Obama's Science Teacher Training Initiative Politicized Science
- Fear and Loathing of Islam is not Islamophobia
- Islam Versus Deism
- Left vs Right, Montesquieu, Corporatism
- Eastern Roman Empire and Islam
- Philosophies of Islam, Greece, and the West by Turgut Ozal
- Example of Islam and science.
- Maimonides Versus Aristotle and the Jews of Spain, Thirteen Rules
- Handbook on the History of Modern Science
- Pelagius and why he was right
- Islam Versus Judaism and Christianity
- Islam to Deism: Why I became a Deist