Atlanta Resident Sentenced For Identity Theft
January 8, 2013
Department of Justice
United States Attorney William C. Killian Eastern District of Tennessee
Atlanta Resident Sentenced For Identity Theft And Social Security Fraud
KNOXVILLE, Tenn.- Sabir Jaquail Grant, 23, of Atlanta, Ga., was sentenced on January 8, 2013, by the Honorable Thomas A. Varlan, Chief U.S. District Judge, to serve a term of 12 months in prison for aggravated identity theft and conspiracy to commit Social Security fraud. In addition, he was also ordered to serve a three-year period of supervised release upon release from prison. Grant's pleaded guilty on Feb. 22, 2011, to conspiracy and identity theft charges.
Grant and his co-conspirator, Joshua Phillips, came to the attention of law enforcement when Wal-Mart Loss Prevention associates observed them attempting to purchase cellular telephone accounts with suspicious North Carolina driver's licenses. Knoxville Police Department officers arrested both defendants on Apr. 8, 2010, at the Wal-Mart location on Clinton Highway. Grant and Phillips were found in the possession of numerous false identity documents, including counterfeit Social Security cards. Both defendants subsequently entered guilty pleas to federal charges. Phillips is presently serving a sentence of 24 months in prison.
This conviction was the result of an investigation by the Knoxville Police Department, Social Security Administration Office of the Inspector General, and U.S. Postal Inspection Service. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Frank M. Dale, Jr. and D. Gregory Weddle represented the United States.
Four arrested in suspected forgery case Thursday, August 20, 2009
Four men have been apprehended, and more arrests are expected, as part of an investigation into counterfeit checks allegedly being passed at area stores.
Eric Geroy Simmons, Jr., 22, of Snellville, and Abdoul Yaya Diomande, 24, of Acworth, are each charged with two counts of forgery. Sabir Jaquail Grant, 19, of Warner Robins, and Brandon Jamal Wyatt, 26, of Sandy Springs, are each charged with one count of forgery. ... investigating a separate case at the Target located at 1850 Jonesboro Road in McDonough, when someone allegedly tried to pass a counterfeit check.
"The Target Loss Prevention Officer showed the detective the suspect on video," said Bolton. "A canvas of the area was done and ... Grant was located at the register at Best Buy [at 1861 Jonesboro Road]. The suspect was using checks from the same account that he previously had used at Target."
Bolton said the detective confronted Grant, and the two got into a "scuffle" when Grant attempted to flee the scene.
"An officer with the McDonough Police Department apprehended the suspect on Mill Road," said Bolton. "There were three other suspects involved in the counterfeit-check incident, and they were identified at the scene and arrested."
Bolton said the suspects used fake checks and false names to buy items from Target, Walgreens, Walmart, and CVS stores from Atlanta to Warner Robins. He added that merchandise and receipts from cities including Macon, Warner Robins and Acworth, were located in Grant's vehicle...
Full story at http://www.henryherald.com/news/2009/aug/20/four-arrested-in-suspected-forgery-case/
- Crime Mainpage
- Bristol Regional Crime 2014
- Crime Mainpage 2013
- Press Releases Johnson City Police October 2012
- Press Releases Johnson City Police November 2012
- Press Releases Johnson City Police December 2012
- Johnson City Tennessee Police Reports Jan-Feb 2013
- Black Male Charged with Killing Infant - Autopsy Inconclusive
- Feral White Male Nailed for Carjacking in Lee County
- East Tennessee - Bristol Methamphetamine Epidemic
- Crime Mainpage
- White Male Arrested on 25 Counts of Fraud
- Meth Bust Lands Two Washington County Men in Jail
- Man with a gun call leads to 3 arrests
- Three North Carolina Residents Arrested for Counterfeiting
- Drunk Driver Arrested for Handgun Violation
- Why feral white male Robert Gleason Jr. Should Die
- Two White Males Nailed for Multiple Burglaries
- Three Teenagers Arrested for Auto Burglary
- Convicted Felon Kirk Trent Arrested on Multiple Charges
- Traffic Violation leads to arrest of Habitual Motor Offender
- Black Male Antonio Johnson - The Real Reason We Buy Guns
- Myth of Early Islam
- Why Arabs-Muslims can't Handle Liberty
- Debunking Panendeism
- Original Sin an Overview
- Failure in Seattle Schools
- Exploring Religion and Environmentalism
- Taking a Sober View on Climate Change
- Social Agenda Behind Environmentalism
- Environmental-Government Complex is about Money