Pennington Gap Police Chief in Jail for drug dealing
Professor Larry Sabato: "The most corrupt region is Southwest Virginia" Bristol Virginia-Tennessee is at the junction of the two most corrupt regions in the two most corrupt states in the union. (Kingsport Times-News May 22nd, 2010.
Operation "Big Coon Dog" took place in Buchanan County when a group of contractors and County officials conspired to rip-off government money related to clearing flood damage to the Hurley community. Convicted of racketeering and other charges, about 16 people were sent to prison. That was only one in a string of corruption cases across the region due to the secrecy they operate under and a general culture of corruption in the region due to being a giant welfare state.
At the time the Bristol Herald Courier in the article "Former special prosecutor, analyst cite past corruption," (6/26/04) notes these comments from U.Va. government professor Larry Sabato and from lawyer Gerald Gray about political corruption in Southwest Virginia:
"I have family in Southwest Virginia and I love Southwest Virginia, and it's painful to accept one reality. . . . The most corrupt region is Southwest Virginia. Over the years, more indictments for political and public office corruption have happened in this region than all other parts of the state combined."
In 2012 nothing has changed and in fact has gotten worse. What is in my opinion legalized racketeering is how local governments operate in this region in regards to economic development and an apathetic public that sits in silence speaking up only when demanding the next earmark or government handout.
Pennington Gap chief of police arrested on drug charges
By Wes Bunch Kingsport Times-News October 19th, 2012
Pennington Gap Police Chief William Bryan Young, 41, was arrested at the Lee County Courthouse by ATF agents. Young is currently being held without bond in federal custody...
Court documents contain allegations that Young used and sold prescription narcotics on several occasions and that he was associated with individuals known for selling drugs...A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office said Young had been charged in a federal criminal complaint with a variety of drug and gun charges.
According to federal court documents, Young was charged with possession of a firearm by a user of controlled substances, possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense, and possession of a Schedule II drug (Percocet) with intent to distribute.
Update: January 9, 2013 - former Pennington Gap police chief William Brian Young pleaded guilty in federal court to distributing prescription drugs and setting up the burglary of the town pharmacy. He headed the town Police Department for nearly a year when federal agents nailed him with selling oxycodone and Percocet as well as breaking into a Right Aid pharmacy stealing 5000 pills.
His codefendants Kevin Andrew Young and Chris Miles both 35 of Duffield, Virginia, also pleaded guilty to other similar charges. Each of the three convicted felons could face as much as 20 years each in prison and a $1.2 million fine for Chief Yound while Kevin Young and Chris Miles each face a $250,000 fine.
Once again this latest scandal from public office proves that Southwest Virginia continues to live up to its title of the most corrupt region in Virginia.
Posted March 21, 2013
- Also on Virginia-Local Crime:
- Virginia Crime Stats 2012
- Virginia Crime Stats 2015
- Lakeem Scott and Press Incitement to Murder
- Also See:
- NFL Protests Ignore 20% Jump in Black Male Homicides
- Yellow Press Lies about Mexicans and Trump
- Lakeem Scott and Press Incitement to Murder
- Machete Wielding Hispanic Shot Dead
- Christina Eilman Rape Costs Chicago Police Millions
- 12-Year-Old Emily Haddock Murder
- Emily Haddock killers Get Plea Bargain
- 15-Year-Old White Girl Gang Raped at California School
- Bristol Spends Millions for Jobs - Gets Nothing
- Crime is Up Across Wise County Virginia
- 58 Meth Convections Illustrate Problem in Tri-Cities
- Jails and New Laws Won't Stop Meth Epidemic
- Updated September 2017:
- Web Master
- Bristol, Southwest Virginia Revealed
- Science & Technology
- 2017 Website Updates & Deletions
- Hobby Electronics
- US Constitution
- Christianity 101
- Religious Themes
- Guestbook Archive
» Archive 1 » Archive 2 » Archive 3
» Archive 4 » Archive 5 » Archive 6
» Archive 7 » Archive 8 » Archive 9
- Jesus the Man
- Apostle Paul Founder of Christianity
- Why we should know John Calvin
- Egyptian-Christian Connection
- Judaism Meets Zoroastrianism
- Judaism Meets Hellenism and the Logos
- Pelagius Why He Was Right
- Saint Augustine Introduction
- Saint Augustine His Christian World View by Lewis Loflin