Bristol Metals fires 290 Workers
Speaking of continuing losses in manufacturing Bristol Tennessee takes another blow in addition to the huge drops in attendance at Bristol Motor Speedway. Bristol Metals a company that makes stainless steel pipe fired 37 workers in 2012 and in June fired the last of its 290 member workforce.
City leaders as usual were caught off guard. Quoting the Bristol Herald Courier in 2012:
The company is in the middle of a five-year in-lieu-of-taxes agreement with the city's Industrial Development Board. Under the agreement, the company can make capital investments without paying additional property taxes. The board will own any new buildings and equipment until the terms of the agreement are fulfilled.
Really? Now what Bristol Tennessee? They dodged their taxes and what are you going to do? Another corporate welfare deal and all we get is 290 layoffs from a company that claims it's the largest stainless steel pipe manufacturer in the country.
- Predominant Face of American Poor is White and Liberals Ignore It
- Poverty is not about Race It's Economic and Social Policy
- Born Again Jobs and a Shrinking Tri-Cities Labor Force
- Prime Choice Foods Files for Bankruptcy in Bristol
- What 70 New Jobs at Columbus McKinnon?
- Another 100 Jobs Lost in Bristol Virginia with College Closure
- Bristol Metals fires 290 Workers
- 240 Phony Jobs and Corporate Welfare for Heritage Glass
- Bristol Raising Property Taxes to Pay for Corporate Welfare
- Caterpillar Plant Closure Costs Pulaski County 240 Jobs
- Arch Coal Fires Another 213 Workers - It's the tip of the Iceberg
- High Cost of the Non-Profits Industry
- Bristol Spends Millions for Jobs - Gets Nothing
- Raise Minimum Wage in Bristol
- Crime is Up Across Wise County Virginia
- 58 Meth Convections Illustrate Problem in Tri-Cities
- Jails and New Laws Won't Stop Meth Epidemic
- Tobacco Commission Failure Once Again in 2014
- New Tennessee Law Protects Constitutional Rights
- Letter on Liberal Racism
- Tri-Cities Unemployment Up 2013-2014
- Fourth quarter Job Disaster in Tri-Cities Bristol Virginia-Tennessee
- Poor People the Big Loser in Appalachian Economics
- 'Good Old Boys' Rake in Millions Thousands Struggle in Bristol
- Poverty Wages Class Warfare in Bristol Virginia-Tennessee
- Cost of Living Versus Income in Bristol Virginia-Tennessee
Mass Immigration Killing the Working Poor Here Too
Immigration reform will cause even more misery for the working poor as an additional 22 million more guest workers over the next decade will further displace native born low-wage workers and already have in East Tennessee and Tri-Cities. Low-wage black workers have been driven out of the labor force across the nation by immigration and the same thing is happening to poor whites in our region as employers hunt for more cheap-exploitable labor.
In fact this has been recommended to business as a way to lower labor costs in the tourist-retirement related industries this region is promoting. Simply put they want to bring in even cheaper labor to displace the working poor that already dominates our private sector labor market. The working poor are ignored and marginalized already and so the system of social apartheid will continue to flourish.
- Immigration Plague
- Hispanic Welfare Class Won't Vote Republican
- Class Warfare - American People Versus Ruling Elite
- For Sale - Buying American Immigration Policy
- Illegal Immigration Plagues East Tennessee
- Texas - Elsewhere - Immigrants Take Most New Jobs
- Illegal Aliens take jobs from Blacks in Alabama